Duwi dimmer leaks power, led lights stay on when switched of

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Boktor
Starting Member
Starting Member

Duwi dimmer leaks power, led lights stay on when switched of

Post by Boktor »

I have 2 Duwi dimmers installed in my home. They control 2 lights in my home. 1 has three halogeen sports, the other one has two.

As long as I use halogeen spots everything is ok. When I exchange them for LED units, 1 of the spots lights up when the dimmer is switched off.

When I replace on of the led sport with a halogeen one, the problem is gone.

So probably some low power leaking here which you dont notice with halogeen but LED needs less power.

Did anyone run into this problem? Any ideas on how I can fix this?
Akatar

Re: Duwi dimmer leaks power, led lights stay on when switched of

Post by Akatar »

2 or 3 wire setup?
fibaro has a bypass 2 for these kind of problems, i don't know if you can connect the bypass 2 to a duwi dimmer....
martinisoft

Post by martinisoft »

This is normal behaviour.
This is a Two wire system, and the Duwi dimmer keeps itself powered by flowing some current trough the connected lamp.
This current is not enough for a traditional or Halogeen bulb to light up but it is for a LED.
You can overcome this by using a Bypass, the current will flow trough the Bypass instead of the lamp preventing the LED from glowing.
The ones Vision makes are specially created for Dimmers like the Duwi ones.
https://www.robbshop.nl/vision-bypass
My whole house is filled with Duwi Dimmers and I am using these bypasses on places where I don't want a glowing LED when my dimmer is on 0%.
For your info, there is no difference between the power consumption when using a Bypass vs letting the LED Glow.
For that reason I did not use Bypasses in the hallway, so there is always enough light to find your way to the Toilet during the Night. (it's "free" after all)

The bypass won't overcome the minimum load that you need to connect to the Dimmer to fuction properly, but a minimum of three 5,5 watt LED's should be sufficient.
And you need to use good quality LED's that are dimmable with a standard leading Edge dimmer, the bypass won't help you on that part either.
I am using the Philips Classic 5,5W GU10 Warmglow led's on all my Duwi Dimmers and If I connect a minimum of 3 (4 is even better) it all works realy well.

P.S.
Do not use the Fibaro Dimmer 2 bypass because this one is custom made for that specific Dimmer.
I expect the Fibaro Dimmer 1 bypass to work but I am not completely sure of that. So If you don't already own Bypasses please use the Vison ones. I Know that they work.
Boktor
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Boktor »

Thanks for the answers here! I already assumed that I had to place some resistance between the dimmer and wires. Glad to see there is a device for it and I do not have to order some parts from conrad.

I will order two of these from robshop en place them in my wallsocket. Will hopefully solve this problem. Thanks!
martinisoft

Post by martinisoft »

Glad I could help.
Please note that you need to connect the bypass in paralel to the Lamp, so it is better to place it in the box above the light fixture.

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”