RFID Cat Flap computer connection

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....

Re: RFID Cat Flap computer connection

Postby osmi » Fri May 22, 2015 6:21 pm

falcon14141 wrote:Hi,

So what do you think, should I try to write a small tutorail or guide on how to retrofit a PetPorte to an Arduino ?

Yes, please!
osmi
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby osmi » Fri May 22, 2015 7:11 pm

falcon14141 wrote:Hi,

So what do you think, should I try to write a small tutorail or guide on how to retrofit a PetPorte to an Arduino ?

Yes, please!
osmi
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby Darwusch » Fri May 22, 2015 9:18 pm

falcon14141 wrote:So what do you think, should I try to write a small tutorail or guide on how to retrofit a PetPorte to an Arduino ?

Sure!
Darwusch

Postby raymonvdm » Fri May 22, 2015 9:24 pm

It is nice to see that someone actually took all this time to make a real nice solution. I have two petporte units. One on the outside of the wall and one on the inside for a dual door setup. My main goal was to eliminate draft from the outside world. The second goal was to scan if a cat got in or went out which is nice since i have 5 cats and it is nice to now when they got out/in for the last time.

But unfortunately one of the 5 cast was not picked up good enough by the internal petporte unit for it to be a non stress full situation for the cat. So my second idea was to order an RFID scanner (RFIDRW-E-232) and attach it to the antenna of to the internal petporte to scan which cat passes. But i never picked of the project after i received the scanner. Reading your post gave me another boost the start thinking about it again. :-) However i`m not very good at electronics so i`m for now stuck on selection of the resistor needed for the antenna :oops:
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
raymonvdm

Postby labium » Sun May 31, 2015 2:26 pm

is this not a beautiful idea for kickstarter ?

1++
labium

Postby krflyer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Sorry for the late reply.
I had some nasty encounters with this device.
- Other cats would come in and mark our furniture with their urine. Flap was in normal day mode.
- The foreign cat would be able to come in but not get out when in night mode. It destroyed a lot of plants.
- The cat also fought my cat, leaving me with vet costs > EUR150.

I emailed them, and asked them if the flap could be reporgrammed, so when a foreign RFID is read, the device would lock instead of not respond. That would prevent a foreign cat from pulling the flap open with it's claw/nails.

I got a response to the effect that it was a good idea but I would need to sign all sorts of releases, then they could incorporate the idea.

In the mean time, the flap is not function properly when a wind pushes against the flap. So, in stormy weather, the flap would open, but never close.

So, there is no such thing as a cat proof, wind proof cat flap on the market today. If someone has homebrewed something, I'd be glad to hear. Reverse engineering a commercial product is a dangerous route to go. Otherwise, an open source public project would be something I would like to participate in.
krflyer
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby raymonvdm » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:52 pm

I have fixed this issue with an "Banden uitbalanceer gewicht" So the weight of the flap increased and this prevents the wind issues. But it still gives a cat the posibility to fiddle around to get it open.

I`ve had the idee to build the flap myself using arduino but without success yet.
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
raymonvdm

Postby labium » Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am

i am still interested in reading out the cat flap. if it is not to nerdy. so a maual for the simple soul should be availble
labium

catflap with remote control is coming soon

Postby labium » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 pm

labium

Previous

Return to Questions & Discussions Forum