6lowPAN modules for HA

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
mishoboss

6lowPAN modules for HA

Post by mishoboss »

Is there any ready to use 6lowPAN modules out there, that can be used behind wall switches and appliances? For those who don't know what is 6lowPAN, it's IPv6 protocol for small and low power devices. Imagine you could see your kitchen's light switch on your LAN and you could work with it like it is a regular tcp/udp device.

Unfortunately I can't find any end-user product doing that. So, if you know any, please tell me.

I'm really disappointed by the BIG Home Automation companies and hardware manufacturers. There are hundreds of blogs and PowerPoint presentations in the WEB titled "Internet of things" or "Let's build the next billion of Internet devices" and so on... but there isn't any serious effort about doing that! At least I can't find so far. The technology is there - ZigBee, Z-wave, Xbee, Atmel's ZigBit... however they're still overpriced (c'mon 30-40 bucks for a chip with antenna?!). There are great RTOS like Contiki (implements uIPv6 and RPL - very nice routing protocol on low-power devices), tinyOS and other.

So, where are the end-user devices? Or at least where is the hacker and DIY effort? I really hoped I could see something like Arduino for 6lowPAN networks...

If you know any product or DIY project, please tell me here. I'm sure there are many people out there that are asking the same things. Thank you!
Codeblack
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: 6lowPAN modules for HA

Post by Codeblack »

I haven't checked the forum in a while, so my response is a bit late. But I don't know of any ready-to-use 6LoWPAN modules, sadly enough. Even though, I've decided to go for 6LoWPAN myself. And this means DIY...

After some experience with Arduino & JeeNodes, I'm working with a NetDuino (Plus) now. It's a prototyping board like the Arduino, using the same form-factor and headers (so reuse of most shields), but with a 32-bit ARM7 Atmel MCU and using the Micro .NET Framework (or NETMF) and C#. The development & debugging experience with Visual Studio is so much better then with the Arduino platform, IMHO. Although in a lot of cases, a simple 8-bit Atmel MCU (like in the Arduino's) will do the job much better, cheaper & using less power. The NetDuino Plus has LAN on-board, so creating hardware that talks full IP4, IP6 and 6LoWPAN is around the corner. As soon as I've gotten my feet wet enough with the NetDuino hardware & the NETMF, I'm participating in an open source project to port the uIP library to NETMF.

To help with 6LoWPAN development, I've ordered the RZRAVEN development kit from Atmel, with an extra RAVEN USB stick for network sniffing. I know there is a uIP/Contiki port available for this kit. This kit still uses seperate MCU and radio chips, but there has been a single-chip solution for this a while now.

My idea is to have several types of devices. Implementation depends on purpose (e.g. end-device or edge-router), but all capable of IP in some form:
  • - single-chip solution, using the Atmel ATmega128RFA1
    - NETMF solution with seperate 802.15.4 radio-chip, using the NETMF port of uIP
    - NETMF solution with single-chip MCU+radio (ATmega128RFA1), where low-level part of the 802.15.4/6LoWPAN protocol is mostly handled by the ATmega, leaving more memory & processing for the MCU using NETMF
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

Quite interesting, I just had a quick look at that platform (since I only use .NET) but I think the main problem for this will be the price. The module, including shields, casing etc... will be quickly > 60-70 bucks.
Codeblack
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Codeblack »

Of course, if you use the NetDuino for everything. Which I think you shouldn't.

First of all, the NetDuino (as the Arduino) is a prototyping platform. Once you have a working prototype with shields and breadboarding as needed, you make a PCB with only the required components. Prototyping with NetDuino Plus will work fine, even if you don't need ethernet. But building ethernet into a device that doesn't need wired LAN is waistful. Secondly, I don't think you should use NETMF for all devices. A wireless receiver functioning as a single light dimmer is best implemented with a MCU like the ATmega128RFA1.

But I think NETMF will be perfect for devices like a IP6-6LoWPAN router or my alarm-clock, which will have wired LAN or WiFi, a touch-screen (using WPF! but micro of course ;-)) and will be able to play music from my media-server, web-radio and spotify.

Besides my efforts with the NetDuino and making it speak 6LoWPAN, I'm also working on an Arduino-clone with the ATmega128RFA1. It's a big enough challenge, but my biggest problem is the HF antenna & PCB stuff :-S. Luckily I'm not the only one attempting this, so with a little help...
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

WPF is also supported for .NETMF?
Are you going to write your own HA software as well in .NET?
Codeblack
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Codeblack »

Yes it is. Although, as with most of the rest of the Micro .NET framework, it is a limited implementation. E.g. I'm pretty sure 3D is not available. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've seen some very nice examples with WPF on NETMF.

A minute ago I was playing with the SD card on the Netduino Plus, which is as easy as File.Open(...). And serial communication between Netduino and PC... the C# code is exactly the same, how cool is that :lol: .

And yes, I plan to write my own HA software in .NET :) .
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

Very interesting, I looked at the FEZ stuff about a year ago.
I started writing some generic stuff this week for HA. Maybe we can write a generic HA platform? ;) With plugins for different interfaces.

I started out with a Windows Service as coordinator, Entity Framework, MVC etc...I looked for open .NET solutions but couldnt find any.

I dont think 3d is really a miss for the WPF on micro at the moment.
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

Why not support Maarten in developing HouseAgent?
Rene.
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

I looked at that, but its completly python I believe, I have used that long time ago. Since then I've learned .NET which allows me to develop that much faster (and its also multi platform with Mono...). I can still have a look :-)
Codeblack
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Codeblack »

I have some ideas for my HA server software, but it is not my main concern. Not at this moment at least. I need to get some 6LoWPAN devices up and running first :) .

I have not found a .NET implementation either. There are some pretty decent implementations in other technologies. On one hand it does feel like a waist not to use something that already exists, but on the other hand... writing your own is much more fun :lol: .

I'm no way near to start coding my server, but a generic HA implemetation in .NET does sound like a good idea. We could discuss functionality, architecture, plugins & interfaces. Definitely MVC for the web-front, WCF-services for connecting other-then-web clients like WP7 & Windows 8 tablets. UPnP for connecting audio/video devices together, but maybe also for home automation.

I have a diagram that shows most of my ideas regarding the architecture. I need to update and polish it a bit, but I could share it in a couple of days if you like.
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

I did some quick tests for an HA system, but didnt really design something.

I didnt look for WCF as if you do MVC its probably all ill use on my devices ;) but no problem to add the WCF.

I'm first going to get some Z-Wave and hopefully some ZigBee modules to experiment before I write any more software. I have many ideas in what I think it should look like, but i need more insight in the protocols to make design decisions :-)
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

Code, can you send me a PM with your email address, I tried using the contact form on your webpage, but it didnt work.
mishoboss

Post by mishoboss »

Hi, guys, I haven't been here a while, despite I have started this topic several months ago.

Codeblack, take a look at Contiki and tinyOS. They support some really cheap MCUs with integrated 802.15.4 radio. You don't need the pricey Netduino Plus or even Arduino. And you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

For the server part, I suggest to take a look at openHAB (http://openhab.org). It's a new and very promising Java based open source domotic software. It supports HTTP and REST communication, and that's all you need for 6loWPAN. Coding from the ground in .NET is not a good idea, at least for me. Personally I like my HA server to run on a tiny and energy-efficient ARM Linux box with a plug computer form-factor. You can't run Windows on that... well, maybe Windows 8 ;)

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”