Communication protocols used in Domotica

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Tim Van Vlem
Starting Member
Starting Member

Communication protocols used in Domotica

Post by Tim Van Vlem »

Hello,

I am writing a thesis on domotica. A large topic of this thesis is to research which communication protocols are used in domotica systems.
I allready found a large list of protocols that are described as protocols used in home automation.
The protocols I am searching for are those who are used to connect al sensors and actors. Probably the best known is KNX. But which other protocols are used in systems like Crestron, Vantage, Teletastk, BTicino, and so on (my research is focused on the Belgian market)?

I would like to make a difference in protocols like Zigbee/ Z-Wave who are used for partial solutions. So far I have noticed that Zigbee for example, is only used for the sensors and actors that need to be wireless, the rest is installed with a twisted pair of power line. Or is my argument not correct? Are protocols like Zigbee also used for communication of all applications of a domotica system? If yes, which ones use this?

So my main question is which protocols are used for communication of a whole installation? (like KNX)

Thanks in advance
koenbelgium
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Communication protocols used in Domotica

Post by koenbelgium »

Due to the history of domotica in Belgium, most Belgian vendors are using a bus system with an own developed protocol between the sensors, actors and server. I am afraid that most of these vendors are not willing to share their protocol.
Tiz

Post by Tiz »

Domotica does not have a definition of a minimum amount of equipment that should be installed. Nor is there a definition that tells that all the parts should be sourced from one supplier. A Vera homecontroller with Z-wave sensors and actors is a domotica system. So I would rethink your definition of "used protocol in a domotica system". In fact a domotica system can use various protocols at the same time.
Z-wave and Zigbee are excellent examples of protocols that are used by a lot of different manufacturers and I would not leave them out of your thesis.

Anyway, good luck with your thesis and welcome to this forum! I think some of your findings might be interesting for this forum so do not hesitate to keep posting!
Mathijs
richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

Agree with Tiz. Unlike Crestron most other systems (HS, CQC, HouseBot, Control 4 ... etc) all built interface layers to host many different protocols. Don't forget to include AV equipment. AV becomes part of the domotica system in living rooms, multi rooms, home theaters etc. There is no AV protocol standard amongst the different brands but most support serial (RS232) communication. LAN could become the next standard and now some equipment communicates using HDMI.
KNX - EIB is becoming THE standard and even they are hooking up AV equipment. Other than that... Knock yourself out;) but don't drown in your thesis.

Generic Serial - The Generic Serial hardware interface provides a configurable method to send and receive data to the RS232/COM port. It can be customized to communicate with a wide variety of RS232 attached equipment.
ADI Ocelot / Leopard - X10 (2-way), Infrared (2-way), Relay, Input monitor.
Global Cache GC-100 / GC-IRE - RS-232 (2-way), Infrared (2-way), Relay, Digital Input monitor.
Modem / Phone - Any RS232 modem that supports caller ID for incoming call detection and caller ID information.
NetCallerID - Incoming call detection and caller ID information.
PowerLinc USB - X10 USB controller (2-way).
Insteon PowerLinc USB / Serial - X10 (2-way), Insteon (2-way). Requires SmartHome Device Manager software.
Insteon PowerLinc Modem - Insteon (2-way)
Slink-e - Infrared (2-way) - This product is now obsolete.
USB-UIRT - Infrared (2-way) - USB attached controller.
W800 - Receive RF X10 signals - RS232 attached.
X10 CM11a, CM11g - X10 (2-way)
X10 MR26a - Receive RF X10 signals - RS232 attached.
A10, S10
Firecracker / CM17a - Control X10 Devices using RF
ACT ZCU000 / ZCU001 - Z-Wave. Obsolete
Z-Wave Serial - Support for ACT ZCS series controllers.
Z-Wave USB - Support for Intermatic HA22, Wayne Dalton WD HD-10 USB controller and all branded versions, and ACT ZCU series controllers.
RFXCOM - Send and receive RF X10 and sensors.
EIB
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

That's the HouseBot hardware compatibility list BTW :)
richard naninck

shhht
mhn

Post by mhn »

I don't know what happens in Belgium. :-)

But the list at least miss:

Eocean
ANT
FS20
The different versions of Zigbee

In Denmark we have things like Zensehome, IHC.

And so on.
richard naninck

How could I miss FS20. That's the basis of my system...
I bet there are even many more. But the true standard remains EIB and it is expanding rapidly.
Tim Van Vlem
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Tim Van Vlem »

Thanks to share your opinion people. I will post my conclusions when I have finished the thesis.
jrkalf

Post by jrkalf »

HomeMatic - (Bidcos protocol)
FHT - slightly adapted FS20 protocol for heating controls
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

Fibaro HC2, various z-wave switching, alerting, detection modules.
ELV FHT80b heating system.
Jana Vanderheijden
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jana Vanderheijden »

Tim Van Vlem wrote:Thanks to share your opinion people. I will post my conclusions when I have finished the thesis.
Hello Tim,

Did you already finish your thesis?
I am really interested in your conclusions... Could you post them?

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”