Help need with touchscreen

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
AshaiRey

Help need with touchscreen

Post by AshaiRey »

I am looking for a cheap touchscreen and possibly i am overlooking the obvious choice so i will ask the question here.
Do anyone know a cheap touchscreen that have good wifi capabilities.

What i need is
7" - 10" screen will do.
Wifi must be stable and good.
Supported by HST

No other needs since the screen will be used mainly as a display and will have occassionally one touch in a day or so.
Once a week is even more likely.

Any thought on this matter?
Bram
Henk_J

Re: Help need with touchscreen

Post by Henk_J »

I'm Using the Dropad android tablet. It's 7 inch and wifi works fine as long as you use the correct version. Can be found on the Dealextreme web page. I use this as console in the living room. Only drawback is that my kids take it to play angrybirds.
airox

Post by airox »

Hi AshaiRey,

I considered an android device as a touchscreen. I eventually bought a Shuttle all-in-one PC (based on an Atom CPU, http://us.shuttle.com/X50.aspx). I put it onto a wall on a central location. Things I noticed during my decision for a touchscreen:

- Capacitive is nice, but not necessary for a home automation display.
- Larger screens are a plus. You can create a display with all sorts of information (traphic, weather, house, reminders, etc).
- Android is nice, but a full operating system is also nice. I added a webcam server onto my touchscreen which acts as a camera four our living room as well.
- More power and multitasking makes it also my voice recognition server.
- It opens up possibilities!
- Making it a dedicated device as your home control panel is very important! Otherwise as Henk_J also noticed it is being used for something else and won't add value to your automated home.
- Check if it is capable of an always on mode. The effort in bringing the panel up (executing an application) is too much already imho.

I see two sides. One simple, small and mobile touchscreen as a "remote" for your home and a fullsize panel for information delivering. Think about what you are looking for.

Greetings,

Gijs
nico_gh2

Post by nico_gh2 »

There is a 7" Android 2.0 tablet at http://www.ibood.nl at only 69euro till midnight (nearly 2hrs left).
Specs and reviews ain't great but it doesn't brake the bank to get a feeling of what you really want.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Thans for the tips and help.
For now my main concern is a descent wifi connection and a low price since the device won't be used for anything else then just a display most of the time.

@Gijs,
I've tough about your suggestion too earlier. The idea of having voice recognition is also high on my list but to have a second full size computer running 24/7 isn't my first choice for now. However i will keep it in consideration.
Bram
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

The shuttle option is way to expensive.
I am looking for something around 100,- euro or so.
Bram
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Than an android tablet looks like a good (if not the only) option. One thing to keep in mind is that you should choose a tablet with a slightly faster processor and >256mb memory. I had the option to try homeseer on a tablet (tab211 - 7") which costa around 80,-. I found that it did the job, but to slow. The backlight and sharpness wasn't very good either. Which in my case was annoying. I used him everyday.

On samenkopen.net you can find quite a few good deals on tablets. I will order two there as well. If they arrive i will review them.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Thx for the info and i am looking forward for your review.

I use the screen maybe twice a day and then just a few touches to look at the weather for tomorrow. The most important part for me is a stable wifi connection.
Bram

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”