How to start, and with what?

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Slenders
Starting Member
Starting Member

How to start, and with what?

Post by Slenders »

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of these posts, and the possibilities seem endless (what i like :) )
Right now, i'm totally renovating my house (just bought it, and i need to replace almost everything, elektricity, switches etc... )
But i like to integrate a domotica system as well, but i don't really know where to start.

I would like to start simpel, but i want to keep it flexible, so i can do whatever i want with it later.
I like to start with the lights, right now i bought normal single-pole (and a few double-pole) switches (but i'm not sure if this was a right decision with the option for domotica...) These were not expensive tough, so it's not that important. I've read that there are the powerline domotica switches which you can put behind the normal switches and you can switch your lights on/off with this.

Is this a good option, or dou you guys recommend something else? Like trow away those switches and buy others, just for domotica ( and if so, which ? )
Because i want to controll the lights on the switch normally as well.

I've already placed new electrical wires on the entire top floor in my house, and the ground floor is still good, so i would rather NOT cut in these walls anymore.
(Top floor i still need to put in extra power pluggs, so i still need to cut in the walls in the top floor, but ground floor is not going to get cut :) )

I like to use the HomeSeer program, because i think that this has the most open posibillities, but if you guys know something better, what should i use then?
(Keeping in mind that i want to keep adding more functions)

So in short;
-How to start? do i need extra cables or not? Can i use those in wall switches that work with the normal ones,and normal cables ? And which are the best price/quality ?
-Start simpel, first light control, and offcourse it shouldn't cost to much, because i still need to renovate my ENTIRE house :)
-And what are other factors i still need to think of? I'm new to domotica, so i have really no idea ...

Thanks, and hoping for your toughts !
Dennis
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: How to start, and with what?

Post by r_255 »

There isnt a simple guide on how to start.

I guess a good way to start is to do things project based and make sure the software of your choice covers these items.

Lights
Hvac
Audio/Video
etc...

After that you try to find a device that suits your demands and can be controlled by the software of your choice.
Z-wave, rfxcom are a good start if you are going to use homeseer and not a waste of money!

These choices are very personal ( my hardware setup ) and based on whats most common.
Please understand that there are a lot of choices, and the market is still expanding kind of fast!

Just a few generic tips:

- Make sure you have multpiple cat cables running thru your house as they can be used for almost anything these days.
- Make sure before you buy a device that it is supported by the software
- Start small, dont order 16 switches at once, just try one 1st before you decide and again do it project based.
-Try to find some user expierences on a specific device you are intrested in

Enjoy your new hobby ;o)
olof

Post by olof »

Slenders, Dennis,

You are in a great starting position, a house with more or less open walls.
Before you decide on any home automation technology or devices, get your cabling needs in order.
See, for example this discussion:
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6939
In my contribution to that discussion, i left out one important part, run the neutral wire to every lightswitch in the house. Your electrician will call you crazy, but it gives you the most future flexibility. Even with z-wave lightswitches ( my preferred technology), you could need the neutral wire (which z-wave brand, dimmer vs switch, etc..).

In terms of technology, i.m.h.o it depends on your profile. See my post in the 'dummies' section, 'subjective overview...'

Good luck!
Olof
olof

Post by olof »

Dennis,

Maybe another post which might help
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7063

Good luck
Olof
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

From my own experience.
Whatever you do your number one proirity will be installing as much pipes as possible EVERYWHERE. Really i mean it. If you are able to pull 3 CAT5 cables through a pipe then do it even if this means that you have to pull then through the pipe before you put it in the wall or ceiling. That one extra cat 5 cable will give you 8 extra wires to play with in the future and if the domotica 'virus' will really get you then you will need then. I ommitted a few pipes to some rooms and i had to put them in later just because my wife thought it would be nice to have speakers in every room.

An CAT 5 cable at the head end of your bed? I had one unused there for about a year. Never thought it would be handy because i have wifi in the house too till i got ill. The wifi reception was lousy there. So i was happy for the possibility to plug in to a wired network. And when feeling better again the first thing is did was wiring up those speakers underneath my bed... :-)
Bram
olof

Post by olof »

AshaiRey, r_255,

It seems that the original questioner (Slenders/Dennis) doesn't value our efforts in answering his questions. A week has now passed and he has not taken the time to respond.

Olof
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Or login for that matter. But don't judge to soon. He could be ill or what else can be the situation.
Alexander
olof

Post by olof »

Or login for that matter
Hmmm, fair enough. I will wait patiently...for now...

It's just that it appears to be a growing trend on this Board/Forum; a lack of response from original posters to the information provided by others

Olof
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Yep, but don't be discouraged. It can help others reading this topic ;-)
Alexander

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”