Cheap WLAN router to use with arduino, jeenode

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
rbmace2403
Starting Member
Starting Member

Cheap WLAN router to use with arduino, jeenode

Post by rbmace2403 »

Hello,

I have been working with a few openwrt routers myself to bring domotica in parts of my home to my network without having to lay new UTP cables.
I found this very handy, because open-wrt is very stable and you can install it on many different router brands.

I saw this article where someone got it working on a TP-Link 703N, which costs 19 euro. It has a ethernet port / WLAN b/g/n / UTP port (for FTDI cables) and 4 MB flash mem to put openwrt on it. If you need more MEM you can attach a USB Hub.

This way you can connect all kinds of things, I have a Open-wrt unit attached to my Smart meter from Liander. But jeenode/arduino is also possible.

Here is someone who has it working with an arduino : http://blog.nemik.net/2011/12/arduino-openwrt-art/
And here you can buy the very cheap unit : http://www.dealextreme.com/p/tp-link-70 ... ite-102903

I am thinking of buying a few units, maybe we can combine an order from the US? Let me know if someone is interested.

Regards

Ronald
rbodforss
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Cheap WLAN router to use with arduino, jeenode

Post by rbodforss »

I have used OpenWRT on La Fonera / Accton MR3201A in my Arduino projects for WiFi access. Unfortunately they are no longer in production, but you can usually get them on eBay for next to nothing. The drawback is that it is only a B/G router, but the hardware and (TTY level) serial port is well documented in OpenWRT forums.
Let us know how it goes!

/R
rbmace2403
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Cheap WLAN router to use with arduino, jeenode

Post by rbmace2403 »

I will let you know if i get everything working, I ordered the units. :-)

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”