controling roller shutters

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Harry

controling roller shutters

Post by Harry »

What is ad the moment the best way to control "rolluiken".
i have read a few topics, some where quet old.
i have to make a choice over how to control the "rolluiken"
my domatica system is controled whith homeseer.
i have x10 and also rfxcom interface.
what hardwere to chooce.? :?:
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: controling roller shutters

Post by Digit »

Somfy RTS RS485 transmitter and some scripts.
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6252
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

A much cheaper solution is to modify a Somfy remote and use an IPPower, JeeNode with relays or another way to simulate pressing the buttons of the remote. We have three shutters and can operate them seprately using the remote. I bought a second remote with just one channel for 20,- on marktplaats to hookup to my home automation system. Limitations of the single channel is that the shutters can only be controlled from within the home automation system all together in group mode.
Rene.
Harry

Post by Harry »

the shutters have no remote control, the have a up down button beside the window,.....i think there where interfaces x10 from xanura, or a cheap solution KAKu ....controled trough rfxcom........what is realeble the x10 or the rfx?
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I've 4 shutters, all controlled by the KaKu ASUN-650 modules. All four are also connected to a wallswitch (AWST-8800/8802), but we never use these. The shutters are controlled every day by Homeseer via several events. The costs depends of controlling only via Homeseer (Rfxcom) and/or also via wallswitches.
My home automation blog: https://rutg3r.com
Harry

Post by Harry »

other surgestion about this questions,...i stil have to make a choice?
creamers
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by creamers »

In my search Rutger advice is the cheapest.

But what are the negative points of using KAKU components?

Rutger, do you shutters (rolluiken) go up en down unexpected sometimes ?
Rutger, what's your opinion about controlling you shutters with the rfxcom? Reliable?

Maybe there are people who have other advice how to control the shutters or can give pro's con's about the kaku modules?
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

The cheapest solution isn't always the best. The negative feature of all KAKU material is that it support only one way communication. So they don't answer that the signal is received and the command is completed. From time to time, the signal from the rfxcom doesn't arrive at the KAKU module.
I use a lot of KAKU modules with rfxcom and I'm satisfied with the possibilities with this system.You can alway create an extra event that after the last shutter is activated, you send to all shutters the signal again. Thats both signals doesn't arrive at the KAKU module, is a very little chance.

My shutters are not controlled by a neighbour switch or have a own live. With the ASUN-650 module there are 16 miljoen codes available.
Last edited by Rutger on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Whichever switch mechanism you choose, the system can't know if the shutters are down or up. KAKU is one way indeed, so no response if the switch has received the command and understood it. With ZWave and A10 as an example you have that response, but that will not garantee the shutters will be down or up. The only way to know it for sure is to place extra "visual" sensors (like dry contacts, ir, lightdiodes, etc.). You can than check if they are really down or up and also better: If they can be up or down (open windows, rain, wind, persons in direct area).
The last thing you want is to have serious problems because the system can't check if it's allowed for security reasons to send the command.
Alexander
Peterpc

Post by Peterpc »

With the SWM1P / ZAX10 X10 shutter modules from Marmitek, you can do a status request to 'see' if they are up or down.
You can also 'lock' the module by local control for maintance. (like cleaning the windows)
Peter
http://www.pcgsm.nl/
creamers
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by creamers »

Is it possible with KAKU (or an one way module) to use some sort of time delay (measured by practice) and set the shutter (rolluik) halfway ? (instead of completely down or up?)
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

You can set an off command any time, by wallswitch or via software delay in your HA system. After that you can run it futher down or up again. It's not competely up or down. You can't program the KAKU module for half way opening.
creamers
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by creamers »

Rutger,

What do you mean by " It's not competely up or down." ??

And did you program homeseer only for completely up or completely down? Or any expierience settings it half way?

thx for helping us out here!
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

For instance you use a wallswitch, you can stop the shutter at any place/stand you want. It's not that the shutter has only two stands, completely up or completely down. I'd for very short time experience with a sort of halfway opening because of the defect motor stop function, but as I said earlier, when the stop signal isn't received the motor keeps running and damaged my complete shutter, he spins the wrong way at the end with a lots of problems... So I replaced the motor and everything is working fine :D
I use halfway openings appr 10 times a year and control it manually by wallswitch, not by Homeseer.

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”