Invisible temperature sensor?

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
coldsteel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Invisible temperature sensor?

Post by coldsteel »

All,

Just joined the forum, as I am on a quest to automate not only my electric installation, but also my central heating system.

I have the plan to measure temperature- and control the radiator in each room in my house, and because the house is completely stripped and gutted now, I can. Most of my plans are relatively concrete, and I am planning to run it all on a few ethernet arduino's.

As I am not alone in the house, the CEO of the house (Chief Esthetic Officer) has layed some groundrules; 'No ugly temperature probes'. This is where my problem starts.
I want to use DHT22- based sensors on some spots where humidity may be an issue, but am looking at DS18(B)20 sensors in every room (maybe multiple for bigger spaces).

Is anyone aware of a type of sensor mount I can use? Sofar I came across some lightswitches with built-in temperature probe (cool) but they are KNX devices, complicating matters (and also the CEO did not approve).

I would like to have these sensors in the wall, but may also be able to live with a ceiling-mounted version so I can register convection heat a bit better (and compensate for the height of the ceiling, of course).

Hoping for good tips,
/steven
Post-IT

Re: Invisible temperature sensor?

Post by Post-IT »

If you are going to build some arduino stuff, why not build a thermostat control using Arduino and some NTC temperature sensors. They are very small and you can hide them in a variety of housings.

I don't use Arduino but I do use NTC sensors in a KNX setup. I have a Zennio Quad including 4 NTC sensors, the ETS software enables me to run up to 4 individual thermostats.
ewatje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Invisible temperature sensor?

Post by ewatje »

HI Steven,

I just installed some temp sensors and the DS18B20 sensors you mention work really well. If you move to analog you could have problems with distance to the arduino, and you can also put them in sequence etc.

I just put all things on the web for others to read.

http://www.wattez-ict.nl/energie/?page_id=174

Some arduino and temperature things.

Good luck with the CEO!

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”