new trends in the market

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Megga
Starting Member
Starting Member

new trends in the market

Post by Megga »

Hi here guys,

i am new on this forum, but i learned a lot about domotica in the past days, i'm on an internship at a large company in holland and its my task to have a look at the future of domotica, and i have some questions about the future of domotica,

first things first, KNX is hot right now the protocoll can be used to communicatie with a server, like the Gira HomeServer 4, this device connects multiple devices with for example an iphone/ipad, to see the full specs of the device, have a look at the following website:

http://www4.gira.com/nl_NL/gebaeudetech ... erung.html

through a KNX module the devices connect to the home server and from that moment it is possible to connect your iphone/ipad indirectly to the elelctrical devices. But now is my question: do i need that box in the near future?? or is it possible to connect your electrical equipment directly with your ipad through TCP/IP, is it possible that your central heating unit will be equiped with a wifi connector or a webserver?? so i can directly communicate with it through my latop/ipad etc..

i would like to hear your thoughts about this matter, what will be hot in 2016 and 2020?
mhn

Re: new trends in the market

Post by mhn »

My central heating unit is connected to a webserver now. http://www.weishaupt.de/produkte/heizsy ... ul-wcm-com

Hence I can directly communicate with it through my latop/ipad etc.. Problem as usual is, it's a closed system. I can not connect it to my home automation. (Or I have not come around to find a way to.)

Regards
Morten
olof

Post by olof »

My 2-cents worth of opinion....

The current Domotica market is a fragmented mess for the average home owner. This mess shows up in different ways:
1. To many competing technologies, some of which are closed some open.
2. To many production-companies trying to lock you into their proprietary solution
3. Very few standard retail sales channels were the average home owner can buy his domotica solution.
4. No 'Plug-Play' solutions available
5. No common view on what Domotica is and how it should work. The home owner who starts out has no standard place to learn about Domotica
6. etc, etc,...

KNX-EIB is probably the only technology platform which is able to provide a good 'all-in-one' experience for the average home owner. It does this through a 20-year build-up of professional installers who take care of the education, advice, installation, programming and after-service. But at a HUGE cost to the home owner. No normal person can afford this solution. Besides, the main KNX-EIB technology is now at least 20 years old, their wireless & powerline solutions seem to generate mixed reviews. It's not easy to buy without having to go through a professional installer (closed sales channels). And KNX-EIB is only successful in the Germanic countries and Benelux.

As such, I think KNX-EIB will not become the world standard in 2016/2020 or whenever. Given the installed base and large number of installers, it will stay around but only for a niche segment of the market.

Dominant technologies in 2016 /2020 for the private homes:

Controller: There will be a need for a physical controller in the house. Reachable/controllable through TCP-IP with an 'idiot proof' interface. I don't believe in 100% cloud solutions (stability, privacy, monthly costs,..) and I think in 2016 people will have realized this also.

Devices with power cord: TCP-IP using WIFI
Devices with battery: TCP-IP using a low power radio solution. The jury is still out on that one, but I think it will become Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth Smart). Right now it is X10 (dying out) and Z-wave.

Cheers,
Olof
Megga
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Megga »

Olof,

I think you are right, full experiences like somfy and gira work with KNX-EIB, the solutions are nice but for the average guy to technical and expensive,
correct me if i am worng but i guess that the total experience will cost you 15.000 to 25.000€, is this beceause of the protocoll used? is this because of the hardware? why is it so expensive.

i think that TCP/IP has te future for the following reasons

1. everybody has a router tot conmunicate with the internet, if electrical gear is wifi/ethernet ready its over with KNX
2. no long studies to understand,
3. Plug and play, connect the Central heating unit to your network using wifi or with a cable and youre done, open your webbrowser and connect to the thing
4. TCP/IP stays around, just like people breath air, it will always be there (i think!?)

Guys what do you think? no knx in the future? only in industrial environments, no extra home server box to communicate with the KNX-EIB devices?

Grtz Megga

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”