New house to build, which domotica system to be used?

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
et1961
Starting Member
Starting Member

New house to build, which domotica system to be used?

Post by et1961 »

Hi,

I’m new on this forum, my name is Etienne and I live in the south part of The Netherlands.
I’ve plans to build a new house, and want some advice for the domotica system I want to integrate in my new living.
In my current living I use X10 micro modules in combination with Jung “design” switches an socket outlets. I have a IR controller and a web based controller in combination with an android tablet/smartphones.
In my new house, I want to control my lighting, roller shutters/curtains, heating and alarm system.
I want to control my living with a touchscreen (tablet) build in the wall on a central place, or perhaps several places.
I want to control my lighting also with remote controllers, for example smartphones, Logitech IR remote controller and off course the normal wall switches.
The complete system should be reliable, easy to install, easy to program (scenes) and not to expensive!

Can someone advise me, I really don’t know what system (zigbee, z-wave, KNX…) is suitable for me and what brand has the best products and biggest product range.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

ETienne
et1961
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: New house to build, which domotica system to be used?

Post by et1961 »

No one, that can give me some advise?

I expected much more from this forum...very disapointed :(
et1961
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by et1961 »

More then 80 views, and no single reply....no one that can give me some advise?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Maybe because this type of questions has become too boring to answer.
1 question, 100 opinions as reply, is that what you want? Yeah, that will get you going.
There is no single answer, too many variables, you'll have to make up your own mind first.
et1961
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by et1961 »

Do you think so @Digit???

I was quite clear, and all my wishes and requirements are mentioned in my first post. So it’s completely unclear for me why no one can give me advise. At least I expect a lot of knowledge and experts on this forum…but it seems that my expirations were to high….

If it's boring to give new forum members advise, then maybe i subscribed the wrong forum ;)
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

You can use anytihing, in any price range, from any supplier. It all depends on you budget, the design you want, how handy you are, your type of house, your location and much more. These questions are asked everytime and answered often so your answers may be on this forum already if you search and read. It's better to ask a detailed question than such a broard one.
Can someone advise me, I really don’t know what system (zigbee, z-wave, KNX…) is suitable for me and what brand has the best products and biggest product range.
I don't know if it's suited for you pricewise but KNX would be the possible answer to this
Bram
et1961
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by et1961 »

Thanks for your reply,

But isn’t it that KNX systems are more expensive then z-wave in combination with a Homeseer server or a home control system like HC2 from Fibaro. KNX systems are basically more suitable for large installations like offices, isn’t it?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

et1961 wrote:Do you think so @Digit???
Yes I do, I actually mean what I write, so I don't understand the question.
I was quite clear
No, you think you were..
Your question is an open question and an invitation to all to start writing an large paper for you, discussing all the available technologies, their pros and cons, what you need to be aware of when you choose X, why Y may not be the best choice for you, etcetera. Writing such a story can take hours, maybe days if you wanna do it well and cover all the aspects of your questions.

That is what you are asking. And yes, after a while, after the 100th time, this kind of questions get boring because they cannot be answered.

Make up your own mind is the best advice I can give you. Start reading, reading, reading about all those technologies, make a list of the pros and cons that are the most important to you,look at the prices, scratch some of the technologies from the list and iterate until 1 or 2 choices are still on the list.
This procedure can take quite some time, cause the information will be overwhelming @ first, but to make the right decisions (which you will make and will be responsible for) you will need to have a good overall view of it all.

There are 2 other ways:

1. Just start using what everybody does and hope you'll still be happy after 3 years;
2. Hire someone (a company) to make the decisions for you and hope they take the right ones.

There is no template that fits all! (home automation is much more complex than countries, you know :wink: )

And once you've made your choices, started creating something and you have a specific problem, I'm sure you'll see that this is the right place!
et1961
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by et1961 »

Many thanks Robert.

I understand that making a choice is not so easy, based on the information I provided. But it should be possible to give a general advise which system are most suitable for 9 out of 10 users.
I’m not asking a complete overview with pro’s and contra’s between the different systems.

I found this comparison site; http://domoticavergelijken.info/systemen

And I tend to choose for z-wave hardware, because it’s very flexible and a lot of different brands and products are available for acceptable prices.

The choice for a web based controller isn’t that easy. I can use a laptop, with z-wave dongle and Homeseer installed or I can choose for a complete system from Fibaro (Home Center 2).
The HC2 system looks very promising to me, and that system probably meets all my needs…
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

et1961 wrote:But isn’t it that KNX systems are more expensive then z-wave in combination with a Homeseer server or a home control system like HC2 from Fibaro.
Yes, but your question was 'what will be suited'. As stated by Digit there are to much unknown variables. This answer would fit your question. Write down the three systems. Their pros and cons and tick the boxes that suits you, for your situation, your knowledge, your DIY skills, your budget, your lifestyle and your spouse (don't forget about the WAF)
et1961 wrote:KNX systems are basically more suitable for large installations like offices, isn’t it?
KNX is also an industrial standaard. Companies like to do business (taxwise) with other companies. That doesn't mean that isn't used in the private sector. Many house are fitted with KNX too. Mostly by homeowners that can pay the bills of the installation guys without a blink.
Bram
Friso
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Friso »

Hi Etienne,

i have exactly the same project, this forum has not been very helpfull so far. i guess that the electrical community is a little bit "closed"

please send me an email on friso_de_man@hotmail.com (dutch)

Speak to you soon.

Friso
olof

Post by olof »

Hi Etienne,

Sorry to see & read that you're not getting all the info that you seek. I have been a member of this forum for about 3 years now and it helped me tremendously.

Friso posted a similar question earlier this year. Perhaps my answer to him (halfway down the page) can give you some starting info:
domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=7& ... 337#p61456

In general, I would suggest you spend some time in the 'Domotica for Dummies' section. BUT go back further in time, there you will find a rich vein of discussions
on all types of beginner questions. http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewforum.php?f=37

Regarding this forum, my personal (and thus subjective :) ) observations:
- the forum contains very valuable and unique information on home automation. Also great info for beginners. There is no better place for European home automation topics
- unfortunately, you need to search for it by going through old discussion topics. Will take time & patience
- since similar 'beginner' questions have been asked many times before, there is not much enthusiasm by the forum experts to answer them once again. I think this phenomenon is no different in many other forums regardless of subject.

Good luck!
Cheers
Olof

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”