RS232 cable DB9 to USB question

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
AshaiRey

RS232 cable DB9 to USB question

Post by AshaiRey »

For connection a device i need a serieel cable with all pins wired straight. Now i have hardly any experience with RS232 communication so i am asking advice here. Would it be possible to use a DB9 to USB type of cable? And will this be seen as a COM port? Are there other details that i am aware of? Must i use one with a FTDI chipset?
Please advice
Bram
yjb

Re: RS232 cable DB9 to USB question

Post by yjb »

Hi,

Not sure if that will work right away, it just depends on how the device is configured, if you select a cable with a RS-232 connector that can be opened you can always change the wires (for most devices only RXD and TXD).

FTDI is normally the preferred chipset as the driver will always assign the same comport (I've seen other chipsets that were occasionally changing the comport after a reboot).

Ysbrand
efa
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: RS232 cable DB9 to USB question

Post by efa »

RS-232 and USB are both anyncronous serial interfaces, but completely different. You cannot use a simple cable with RS-232(DB9 plug) on one side and USB plug on the other side without breaking something. For example RS-232 use +/-12 V differential, while USB is +5 V referenced to GND.
On market you can find some electronic adapter that convert old RS-232 signals to USB signals, sometimes them work, it depends on the RS-232 device you connect to the serial port and especially the driver of the device.
If work, the old RS-232 device will be seen as a COM port like was really connected to an old RS-232 port. In other cases happen that communication can't be established. As said depend mainly on the drivers and operative systems.

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”