RS232 over Ethernet devices

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

There are lots of devices that can do RS232 over Ethernet. Does anyone have experience with them? Recommendations? Tips?

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi Digit,

Good question. Some (you among others ;-) have positive experiences with an RFXCOM ethernet device in combination with a serial module. That might be a somewhat expensive solution though?

Pieter mentioned his positive experience with USB -> serial devices from VSCOM (http://www.vscom.de). This company also offers Ethernet -> serial devices, so maybe these are worth a try?

I would also like to expand the question a little bit, given the trend to virtualize HA systems altogether.

- What Ethernet -> RS232 devices would you recommend, and
- What Ethernet -> USB devices would you recommend?

Lennart
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Since last week I'm running my RS232 on RFXcom ethernet.
Windows drivers for the remote RS232 are working fine.

Vscom is also not very cheap., Singe RS232 cost about 140 euro
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

RFXCOM with Serial module works very well, i know.
But somehow it seems a bit 'overdone' to me when not combining the RFXCOM LAN interface with a transmitter or receiver module. So that's why i started looking at other, more dedicated devices for RS232 over Ethernet. And since i need at least 3 * RS232 at places where no other RFXCOM stuff will be placed, i started looking further. Axis has them to, but they're rather pricey and i don't want to wait for a bargain on eBay or something, cause this that would stall my virtualization-thing...

I found some devices for EUR 70 that seem to do everything i need. I was just wondering if anyone else had experiences with this type of devices. Guess not. I think I'll just order one and see what it will bring...
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I have only experience with the AXIS 2490, The AXIS 2490 Serial Server allows 2 serial and 1 RS485 device to connect directly to an Ethernet network without using a PC, thus providing remote access to these resources via HTTP and TCP/IP.

As this topic was going on I decided to try and connect an XANURA CTX35 to the AXIS 2490 RS232 Ethernet server. Initially I wanted to place the CTX in my fusebox closeth and control it with RS232. Somehow the RS232 cable of 30 meters was not stable and the CTX was not working good. If I connected a Marmitek CM11 on the same cable it was working good (strange?)
Because the best place to put a X10 controller is the fusebox closeth I decided to use the AXIS, it's also has 2 serial ports so I can connect multiple devices.

Setting up the device was very easy, filled in some RS232 parameters and setup a portnumber (see screen below) Connected the CTX35 to comport 1, programmed a new driver based on TCPIP instead of RS232 (com control) and the device was running. the current setting is a setting without a comport redirector, so directly on tcpip. The server can also handle HTTP.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_2490/

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.
Mhwlng

Post by Mhwlng »

I used com servers from here :

http://www.wut.de/e-wwwww-ww-hpus-000.php

Marcel
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Although it's usually not my style, this time i chose to try something the "cheap" way and ordered a so-called Ethernet-RS232 converter for 70 euro. Total cost: 100 euro (shipping, taxes, etc..)

I tried my LED-bar with this thing, cause that seems to be the most 'delicate' device i have here when it comes to Serial timing issues. It works like expected and it's very simple; you set the IP address and port on the Ethernet side, Baudrate etc. for the serial side, and off you go. Although i haven't tried it yet, i don't think my ACT TI-213 or my Sony PTZ interfaces will not give any problems with this device either.

So after ordering 2 more of these things and a RFXCOM LAN Interface for my 2 receivers and transmitter, i'll have everything "Ethernetted" and i'm ready to go virtual.
BTW, this is the device i used: http://www.robotwinkel.com/Sollae.html, EZL-200F.

TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

This one also looks good.

CIE-H10 is a remote I/O Controller. You can monitor digital Input and control digital Output over the Internet. It supports Modbus/TCP, HTTP and simple macros for stand-alone operation so that you can use it for various applications. Additionally, your serial devices can be remotely controlled, managed and monitored over the Internet by using an optional serial port.

[img]uploaded/chak/2008316104739_CIE-H10-groot.jpg[/img]

-Remote Monitor and Control digital Input/Output Port
-8 Digital Input Port (photo-coupler interface)
-8 Digital Output Port (relay interface)
-Supports Modbus/TCP and Web Server(HTTP)
-Stand-Alone Operation
-Built-in serial device server
-Online Debugging Function
-Supports DHCP, PPPoE for xDSL
-Support variety of TCP/UDP host connecting modes
-AT commands to control network connection
-Supports Supports Host name lookup (DNS)
-DDNS (Dynamic DNS)
-Easy configuration utility via network (ezManager)
-Virtual COM Port Redirector (ezVSP) included
-Firmware is upgradable through network
-Environmentally-friendly RoHS compliant

http://www.eztcp.com/en/Products/cie-h10.php

Can be bought in the netherlands here:
http://www.robotwinkel.nl/Sollae.html
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Chak,
That is a nice device!
@Digit: Why did you not choose this one (at least 1), its very handy to have some extra IO functions in the fusebox closeth (door locks etc).
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

i think 82 euro vs 189 euro is the the reason.

@chak, your referring to the ezl-300s at the robotwinkel, i presume you mean the CIE-H10 remote I/O controller

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

@Chak/Pieter:

Be careful, the EZL-300S here is not the same as the CIE-H10 in this shop; these are two different devices: the EZL-300S is the wireless version of the EZL-200F - the device Digit bought. The CIE-H10 is the device you described. I guess Chak read the wrong caption on the Antratek/robotwinkel page? The reason Digit bought the 200F is probably the price difference: EUR 69,- versus EUR 159,- (the EZL-300S is EUR 119,-), all ex. VAT. See also http://www.antratek.nl/pdf/Prijslijst.pdf

@Digit:

I wouldn't worry too much about it being a "cheap" device. I've known Antratek as a company supplying quality stuff.

Lennart
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Was my mistake, I added some extra info to the topic. I did not see the image right on the website. Chak was right [8D]
We are talking about the same device here the CIE-H10 and <b>not</b> the EZL-300S
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Here another one on a webshop in USA.

4-port serial device to Ethernet

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=209

Price including shipment to Holland +/- 135 euro
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I bought the EZL-200F primarily for it's sole purpose, RS232 over Ethernet. I didn't need what the CIE-H10 has to offer. And sure the CIE-H10 looks very nice for places where you need other I/O as well. I will buy one when i need one, soon?[:)]
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I found a new product from lava
thay have devices with 1-8 RS232
Itronics have them..

http://www.lavalink.com/index.php?id=259

[img]uploaded/Chak/2008317141953_lava.jpg[/img]

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”