Skybell - how to integrate with relay in HA solution

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Skybell - how to integrate with relay in HA solution

Post by Phaeton »

Since a couple of weeks I have a Skybell doorbell. Works fine and I like the fact I now have a doorbell with Intercom for a reasonable price. Only thing... the promised API is non-excistent. So I know have to find a way to connect my Skybell with my Homeseer (or whatever).

Old situation (before Skybell):
I had a doorbel with a KAKU module. The doorbel closes the loop, the kaku-module sends an RF package, my RFXCOM receives the package and this notifies my software that some-one rang the doorbell. For me this worked like a charm except I didn't have a intercom.

Idea:
I would like to place a relay between my analog doorbel-ringer and Skybell. The relay is being triggered and closes the loop on which I will connect the KAKU module. The KAKU module sends an RF package etc etc.

Research
I did some investigation. My Skybell is connected this way: skybell.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ ... l_both.pdf
The idea has already been tried by other Skybell users. Which you can read here: service.skybell.com/forums/238030-help- ... ic-door-be
They didn't work it out.

I read this on Facebook:
12V DC supply via 10Ohm load resistor will give approx 10.5V DC at the skybell. Skybell draws about 150mA after it has booted up and charged it's battery.... When the button is pressed, the supply lines are internally switched together via bridge rectifier, this lasts for about 200ms. The voltage across the 10Ohm load goes up to about 10V, enough to drive a relay in parallel with the load resistor. Relay contacts can be used to drive any door chime digital or analogue...

I connect my Skybell to a 12v AC transformer.

can you guys help me and tell me what relay to use?
Or maybe you have another idea?
groeten,
Harry
raymonvdm

Re: Skybell - how to integrate with relay in HA solution

Post by raymonvdm »

I think you can just place a relay parallel to the actual ringer. If the ringer gets 6v DC when some presses door doorbell, then a 6V relay can also switch you`re input contact. Your input contact can be anything.

- KAKU door/window sensor where you replaced the reed contact with to wires wich are connected to the relay contact
- Input on a Velleman K8055
- Any other device which can act as an input for HomeSeer

Note: How does your SkyBell gets its own power, by using additional wires ?
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

raymonvdm wrote:I think you can just place a relay parallel to the actual ringer. If the ringer gets 6v DC when some presses door doorbell, then a 6V relay can also switch you`re input contact. Your input contact can be anything.

- KAKU door/window sensor where you replaced the reed contact with to wires wich are connected to the relay contact
- Input on a Velleman K8055
- Any other device which can act as an input for HomeSeer

Note: How does your SkyBell gets its own power, by using additional wires ?
It gets its power from the transformator and therefore the problem is that because the Skybell keeps current on the wires the relay (12vAC) is always closed when I place it and connect power.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3932
I didnt yet screw the doorbell open. Might be good idea. But I first want to try it without opening it... But I'm tempted.

Unfortionately right now I cannot check it again or measure the change in current because the firmware update (which is not optional, it automaticaly updayes, which is annoying) broke my Skybell.
groeten,
Harry
newwolf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by newwolf »

Maybe this is the solution for you?

http://service.skybell.com/forums/23803 ... ic-door-be
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I've resolved the 'issue'. For future reference:

As a first attempt across the doorbell I installed a 12VAC relay which often stayed in the on-position after a doorbell-ring or buzzed after I took the power off the doorbell and plugged it in. Probably had something to do with the LiPo Battery charge. Because after a couple of minutes the relay would close and buzzing stopped.

To stop this I placed a resistor (10ohm 10watt) across the relay. This works fine for a week now.
groeten,
Harry

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”