Motion sensor directly to device or throught software?

Pop your questions regarding Home automation Domotica hardware here.....
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Motion sensor directly to device or throught software?

Post by Phaeton »

I'm curious how you guys controll devices which are connected to motion sensors. I now have my z-wave Fibaro motion sensors connected to Homeseer and Homeseer launches an event when motion is detected. I find the delay between the detection and lights on to long. I positioned the hardware a good as it gets to have an early motion detection and the event does what it should do fine. But the on-command in some cases is to slow (around 1 second). F.e.in the toilet people flip the switch around the same time the light is being turned on by Homeseer. This causes the light to switch off again :lol:

I'm thinking of changing the association of the motion detectors directly to the devices. This cuts away Homeseer, but should be faster.

Online I see a lot of people who use control software to run events based on motion detection. I wonder if I miss anything if I directly connect the devices to the motion detection.

Sound simple and logical. But because it's so logical I started wondering:
Do I miss anything when I control directly?
How do you guys switch lights based on motion detection?
Directly or throught control software?

I've thought about it, it's not a 'how' question, but more a 'why' do you do the things you do in a way :)
groeten,
Harry
Rutger

Re: Motion sensor directly to device or throught software?

Post by Rutger »

Same problem here, I want to control my kitchen lights via a motion sensor. Switching via Homeseer is too slow. Switching directly is perfect but have a disadvantage: the motion sensor send also an off signal, and I don't want that. I want only the ON signal (KAKU, gong modus doesn't work).

I don't have enough space here to create a corridor to the kitchen, so a motion sensor can control homeseer before I enter the kitchen.
I did also several tests on different places but the best is the wallswitch at the moment :cry:
My home automation blog: https://rutg3r.com
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I don't know Kaku detectors, but can you change the off timer to a longer (infinite) period? Maybe you can use the motion to switch directly on and use a homeseer event to trigger an off.

The Fibaro motion sensor settings can be changed. I can change the time of detection-pauze (time the motion detector sleeps after a detection) and the time to off. The last resets every time there is motion.
With this I can change the detector pretty good the way I want it.
groeten,
Harry
Han

Post by Han »

Hi,
In general, but not applicable to toilet light control, advantages of control by software are:
- more flexible (easier to change on-time)
- knowledge of daytime (sun up/down), or information from light sensor
- control of light during absense
I'm now using X10 light sensor to control some lights, but indeed switching on time is rather long. This is not due to the control software, but due to the X10 communication time. I'm currently replacing the X10 units by zigbee motion sensors.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=52& ... amp;t=9420
Han Alink
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Maybe you can use the motion to switch directly on and use a homeseer event to trigger an off.
That would be the best solution and is a possibility, but the motion sensor will send after some time an off signal, which is not preferable in the most cases.
So a motion sensor that only send an on signal directly should be the best solution for me, but it is on my list with non-existing products...
My home automation blog: https://rutg3r.com
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

@Pheaton, In which version of Homeseer are you using the FB Motion sensor? I try to include them in HS2. But I can not get them included. Homeseer says: Failed to get basic node information from new node? Can't they be used with HS2Pro?

Wiechert.
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I use them in HS3, in HS2 I have had them working I believe. I can check this weekend for you. please remind me if I forget.
groeten,
Harry
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

Ok I now have it included in HS2, needed to wake it apparently :) Also have it associated with group1 to Homeseer ta have status update instantly.

Groeten,
Wiechert
Harry

Post by Harry »

are these fibaromotion sensors easy to include in hs2, i am not familiar with Z-wave.
i need a usb stick i think for comunication.
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I have had problems with firmware 2.4. You should buy 2.6. I only use them in HS3 now. They work fine.
HS2 isn't being maintained and I notice with z-wave that is important. I could add them in HS2 though, and they worked okay.
groeten,
Harry

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”