Floor heating

Forum about Opentherm, Hvac, House heating, Boilers

Moderator: hvxl

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Floor heating

Post by Snelvuur »

So i got 3 tubes going out towards kitchen (ground floor), livingroom (1ste floor) and bathroom (second floor). Since they all jump "on" the moment its getting cold in the living room it is a situation i dont want. I want all to be seperate, i have to install something on my hub for my floor heating.

Can i use a ELV MAX for instance? Are there external temperature readings then possible? Because they would be installed at the hub of my city heating where the pipes go towards these rooms. So it needs to have a temperature reading from somewhere else..

Or are there any other thoughts about this? Because now it just "slightly" heats up all 3 each time and then the house is warm but the floor tiles are still pretty cold. If i only heat the kitchen then the house is also warm but its nice and warm to the feet too :) (yes , luxury issue but if possible why not)
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Floor heating

Post by Digit »

Since a few weeks the ELV MAX! Room Thermostat is shipping.
IIRC the Room Thermostat overrides the temperature sensor in the Radiator Thermostat, so it might be a solution for you.
I don't have a Room Thermostat, so can't say much more about it.
Comments on the ELV forum about this thing are, ehm, not all very positive.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

One could use things like a oregon sensor or something similar in the rooms to control it via homeseer plugin etc etc.. but i dont trust that "combination" enough. But i dont mind using for instance the visonic sensors with homeseer to send out a signal to the thermostat to go to 12 degrees, and reset when closed. (worst case scenario, it doesn't go to 12 degrees) but it would still work normally afterwards. (the whole WAF factor blabla)
// Erik (binkey.nl)
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Same problem here.
The thermostate is in the living room and if the temp there is oke then the heating is switched of even if the temp isn't reached on the other floors.
I believe you need separete control valves on each tube group and multiple thermostats all connected parallel but indentifiable which give a signal so that the right valves can be opened or closed. If all thermostats are off then the heating source (cv kettle) can be turn off too.

I still have to realise this plan so no experience with it
Bram
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Well in my case i have city heating, so i dont have any issues with turning of a kettle or not. I can just keep the main valve open and keep the ones going to the rooms closed. (at least i assume so) then i only need 3 MAX! on it BUT they need to have a temperature sensor from the room itself somehow. What Digit suggested would be a outcome, but how reliable is this all..
// Erik (binkey.nl)
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

Hi Erik and others,

Did you even implement a solution? I have city heating and floor heating as well. I am considering using OS sensors and valves like this: http://www.verkeerdgeleverd.nl/product_ ... ts_id=8248.

The floor heating is divided in 6 zones. How do I avoid having six X10/A10 or plugwise modules, and 6 power supplies (220 -> 24v)? What is the best way to switch several 24v sources?

Or are there better alternatives to solve this problem?

Thanks!
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Nope, nothing found. My floor is divided in 3, but i have the same issue. Floor heating in the kitchen is what i want in the morning but usually never goes on because the living room is warm enough (warm air goes to the living room up)
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Fantic

Post by Fantic »

With the 6 x 24v valves and an IPpower you're in business, use a single power supply for the valves, depending if they are ac or dc types, for AC you can use a simple transformer to supply the 24 volts and if it is DC you could use a simple 24 v battery charger.

The system itself works finally as I had it planned, the living and Kitchen is 1 big area so that is one separate unit controlled by the room thermostat and a single valve, which has a extra contact on it to switch on the heater. All other rooms have their own thermostat and those control a 8 valve control unit which has a pump switch and a heater control. This is a Danfoss MC system.

This Danfoss solution is using ZWave, however the closed version and I was told by tech support that they do not intend to make the next version with the open version of ZWave, so it will remain proprietary or closed ZWave, which is to bad.

Trick here is to control the specific valve by a thermostat in each area.
Regards, Maarten.
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

Thanks! I didn't know about IPPower and after investigating I think that could be my solution.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

I'm currently working on a detailed desription of a setup of a friend of mine (bartG). He has floor heating in his entire house and basically lets Homeseer "run the show", turning his advanced Bosch heater into a dumb device.
It might take a couple of weeks before the documentation is complete. It includes animations showing how it works, scripts that analyze the rooms and make decisions based on that data, all devices used (plugwise, kaku, rfxio, oregon sensors), and more.
Cheers
DJ
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

Interesting to see how that works out! Keep us informed!

Return to “Hvac, Heating Opentherm Forum”