Remotely control thermostat

Forum about Opentherm, Hvac, House heating, Boilers

Moderator: hvxl

soitjes

Remotely control thermostat

Post by soitjes »

Hi all,

I control all my valves with ELV Max, and I would like to add a thermostat which I can control from my Digital Home Server. The requirements is actually very simple :

- I only need to be able to start/stop the central pump, so I don't really care about temperature settings (which is anyway done by the ELV Max valves)
- I should be able to control this from my digital home server, so some kind of official/unofficial api is needed.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Soitjes.
My Digital Home Server - http://www.digitalhomeserver.net
MarnixT
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Remotely control thermostat

Post by MarnixT »

I'm using ELV Max! myself so I notice your post. However, I don't quite understand it.
You're trying to get hot water to the radiators by turning on the central heating system if needed? Is it city heating or a gas heating system?
do you want to use the setpoint temperature or the real room temperature of the ELV system in a script?
soitjes

Post by soitjes »

It actually has nothing to do with ELV Max. They control the radiator valves. But even if I turn off all the radiators, the central heating pump will keep circulating hot water in the pipes. So I'm basically warming up the walls. So I would like to shut off the pump by using a thermostat. But as I can control the ELV Max from my application I would like to do the same for the thermostat. Hence my request for suggestions for such a thermostat.

Soitjes.
My Digital Home Server - http://www.digitalhomeserver.net
matthijskooijman

Post by matthijskooijman »

Perhaps you could just hook up a relay to the on/off connection of your boiler and no longer need thermostat at all?

I have something similar set up: An Arduino with RFM22 module listens to my Max thermostats and if any one is open, it switches a relay, which shorts the on/off connection on my boiler, causing it to turn on. Additionally, I still have a thermostat connected to the modulating connection on the boiler (which is on different wires on my Nefit boiler), so I can also turn on the boiler using the thermostat as a backup.

Return to “Hvac, Heating Opentherm Forum”