Directly reading a Landis Gyr G350 gasmeter

Forum about Smart meters for Energy, Gas and Water and all related
matthijskooijman

Directly reading a Landis Gyr G350 gasmeter

Post by matthijskooijman »

Hey folks,

I've been trying to read my smart meter through the P1 port (with success). However, digging through the P1 port specs, I noticed that the gas meter readings are only updated once per hour (since the gas meter only sends the readings to the electricity meter once per hour wirelessly). Since I wanted to use the gas readings to finetune my heating control system, that's as good as useless to me.

The gas meter does have an optical port, so I was hoping to be able to do more regular readouts through that. However, I can't find any indication of the protocol used anywhere. It seems the DSMR spec doesn't specify any port on the gas meter (only an optical P0 port on the electricity meter). Anyone every tried reading this port? The "product brochure" for the G350 does not mention the optical port at all.

I do have some other reservations on this approach:
- Perhaps the optical port is only active for a while after you press one of the buttons on the mater (to show the current value on the display)
- Reading the value more often might quickly drain the battery, the gas meter does not have any AC power
- The optical port might be password protected (ideally, reading values is not protected, but I'm afraid that everything will be protected)

If the gas meter was connected through wired MBUS instead of wirelessly to my E-meter, I might be able to break into that bus. However, it seems that there is no such connection present, at least I cannot access it from the outside.

A completely different approach would be to install a gas flow meter just before my boiler. Does anyone know of any flow meters that can be electrically read out? I did some googling, but I couldn't find anything that would work and was actually available for purchase to consumers in single quantities...
bert.broek.7
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Directly reading a Landis Gyr G350 gasmeter

Post by bert.broek.7 »

Any update on this, i'm also trying to get a readout from this meter.
I am trying to make a probe with IR LED and IR receiver, connected to an arduino.
It modulates a 38kHz signal and then sends "/?!" at 300baud 7E1(i hope). But i am not getting any data back.
Maybe i am missing something, don't know yet.
Have you made any progress or someone else?
matthijskooijman

Post by matthijskooijman »

I have not made any progress since my original post (unfortunately my entire home automation efforts have been on hold since then, I'm planning to get started again soon).

You say it sends /?!, does that mean it sends data periodically? Or when you press the button?
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Hi, I also have a G350 for a gas meter. It's wired to the kWh-meter through the M-bus. Since data passing this wire are part of the billing process, the M-bus line is not supposed to be tampered with. AFAIK there is no optical port on my meter (don't see any LEDs blinking, IR or otherwise).
bert.broek.7
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by bert.broek.7 »

i have a g350 with is wirelessly connected to my Kaifa MA304.
Both meters gas/electric have a similar optical eye. I have seen different types of G350's the ones with optical eye and without.
When is send /?! to my electric meter it responds with his identification. So it is working. Now i only need to get my gasmeter working maybe i need a different baudrate or parity.
I have found a optical probe from a fluke multimeter which works with the Kaifa, so now i can change baudrate easily, so maybe i have a update tommorow. I will try every option i can to get a reading.
I also read somewhere that the optical probe will activate the optical port, because ther is a magnet in the probe which activates the readout. Will also try that...
eDsuB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eDsuB »

Most Gas meters connected to a smart meter have the IR eye disabled.
Your best chance to read the gas meter is to get a SMR5 smart meter. That (newest) version sends out the E values every second and the G (or any other conected slave meter) values are send every second, but updated every 5 minutes.

Return to “Smart Metering Forum”