Reading the P1 port of a NTA8130 Dutch Smart Meter

Forum about Smart meters for Energy, Gas and Water and all related
eDsuB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Reading the P1 port of a NTA8130 Dutch Smart Meter

Post by eDsuB »

Bollocks, the CP2102 does not have configurable I/O. 'newer' Silabs converters (like CP2103) do.
Guess I have to wait until my FTDI cable arrives.
Verkenner

Reading the P1 port YES, YES, YES !

Post by Verkenner »

YES! Succeeded !! YES !!!
Got the telegram on my PC !

Reading a Kamstrup 382 JxC (with a Communication module from EnergyICT)
With 5 Volt cables from FTDI (TTL-232R-5V-WE)
3-wires from FTDI-cable: Red=Request, Black=GND, Yellow=Data=RXD
RJ11-port on the kWh-meter: pin2=Red=Request=+5Volt, pin3=black, pin5=Yellow=Data
Terminal settings: 9k6, 7databits, Even par, stop=1, No handshaking, Line mode, CR+LF

Inverted the RxD in the driver from the FT232R-chip.
Used the FT_PROG Utility, do NOT forget to Cycle port after programming ;-) ;-)

Then you get this Telegram from Kamstrup:

/KMP5 ZABF00151141211

0-0:96.1.1(205A4142463030313531313431323131)
1-0:1.8.1(00170.000*kWh) Verbruik Nacht 170 kWh, +t1
1-0:1.8.2(00119.000*kWh) Verbruik Dag 119 kWh, +t2
1-0:2.8.1(00001.000*kWh) Teruglever Nacht 1 kWh, -t1
1-0:2.8.2(00004.000*kWh) Teruglever Dag 4 kWh, -t2
0-0:96.14.0(2)
1-0:1.7.0(0000.63*kW)
1-0:2.7.0(0000.00*kW)
0-0:17.0.0(999*A)
0-0:96.3.10(1)
0-0:96.13.1()
0-0:96.13.0()
0-1:96.1.0(3238303039303031303434313536383130)
0-1:24.1.0(3)
0-1:24.3.0(110414150000)(000008)(60)(1)(0-1:24.2.1)(m3)
(00123.018) Gasverbruik 123 M3
0-1:24.4.0(1)

!

Cheers ;-)
Best regards, Verkenner
PietjeNL

Post by PietjeNL »

Now the job to make it show up in homeseer with graphs.
Verkenner

Energy use in HS

Post by Verkenner »

Volunteers ? ;-)
I deliver the cable ;-)

Advantage: You do not need extended hardware (like Cuby or Plugwise)
Disadvantage: You need a PC 24/7 (such as Homeseer-PC).

RGDS, Verkenner
Best regards, Verkenner
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

This is not something an Arduino can't handle.. add an SD card as storage, Ethernet/RF, a few bits of software and you can download the data whenever you like.
eDsuB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eDsuB »

The solution verkenner came up with worked with other people as well.
As long as you use the FTDI TTL Serial tot USB convertercable. Stay away from cheap alternatives as those mostly do not support the port configuration we need.
I will pick up my cable from ht epostoffice this afternoon and will try myself.

As I am not running Homeseer I am looking into a more-or-less standalone solution to log the P1 data and eventually send it to Google Powermeter. Started allready to build a P1-datalogger on the PC using Python.
The best solution would be to use a microcontroller like Arduino for this, but I am not familiar with Arduino programming at all (yet). But: When you guys want it for Homeseer, you have a PC running already. My suggestion would then be to use that one to do the P1 logging as well.
eDsuB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eDsuB »

I have a first version of my p1 datalogger ready for field-testing.
The program is developed in Python3 and has proven to function correct on Iskraemeco (Liander) and Kamstrup (Enexis) NTA8130 Dutch Smart meters.
I am particularly interested in getting in touch with testers that have meter-configurations that match any of the following criteria:
Grid operator other than Enexis (eg. Liander, Stedin)
Meter supplier other than Kamstrup (eg. Iskraemeco)
Electricity 'levering' and 'teruglevering'
Gas meter connected to smart electricity meter
Heat meter connected to smart electricity meter
Cold meter connected to smart electricity meter
Water meter connected to smart electricity meter
FTDI TTL-232R (5V) convertercable with inverted RXD reading and a RJ11 plug on the TTL-side conforming to the P1 Companion Standard

Be prepared to have to
- Install extra software on your pc/laptop: FTDI driver, Python, pySerial module
- Spend some time in your metering-cabinet
- Report your findings in order to improve the P1 datalogger functionality

What you will get in turn is probably the most extensive way to obtain energy-metering data available in a file and/or database to use when and wherever you like.

Please send me a PM if you want to apply.
wimbo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by wimbo »

Hi eDsuB.

I can't send PM's, so I'm asking here. :)

I would like to participate in your test.
Stedin is my grid operator, and I have a Smart Meter.
I have a FDTI 5V cable here somewhere.

Only one problem: My P1 port is behind a secured/labeled door. (Verzegeling op de meter dus.)
Can I ask Stedin to give me access to this?

(I'm wanting to communicate with my meter for over a year now, and this a greate idea!)
wwolkers

Post by wwolkers »

My meter is locked also...
But I found this: http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/Ehz2s0
There they interface with the P1 ir port, with an arduino.
Perhaps interesting for somebody here.
eDsuB
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eDsuB »

You should definitely ask your gridoperator (ie Stedin) to give you access to the P1 port of your smart meter. The free accessibility of the P1 is one of the requirements in the NTA8130 definition. You could make a reference to the NTA8130 P1 Companion guide by netbeheer nederland (use Google to find it, refer to version 3) when you talk to Stedin.

You are more than welcome to join the field test. I will email/PM you

Meanwhile I have just completed version 0.3 of my P1 Datalogger.
Version 0.1 was capable of logging P1 telegrams to screen
Version 0.2 was (on top of the 0.1 functionality) capable of logging P1 telegrams to csv files
Version 0.3 is (on top of the 0.2 functionality) capable of logging P1 telegrams to a MySQL database
wimbo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by wimbo »

It seems we have a Landis & Gyr ZCF120ABd meter.
According to Stedin it does not have a P1 port, only the IR port, which is mentioned above by wwolkers.
I asked if or when we would get a NTA8130 compilant meter they said: "We don't know. Yours is a smart meter, so no need to replace it."

I happen to have a spare Arduino, so I might try to interface with the IR port.
It looks like its sending the same info as the P1 port.
Meertens
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Reading the P1 port YES, YES, YES !

Post by Meertens »

I'm living in the netherlands and just got a Kamstrup 126JcX meter installed. I'm trying to communicate with the meter with a laptop wich has a rs232 DB9 port. I don't het a response at all from the meter. I want to buy a TTL-232R-5V-WE but I can't find shops who are selling those cables.

It should work however with the rs232 DB9 port. Is it possible that the P1 port is not active?
alaskabear
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by alaskabear »

Same here.... looking for this FTDI cable but all (online) shops only sell to businesses...

L+G DSMR 2.2+ (it's the Xemex module "inside" the L+G meter providing the P1, and P2 and P3) and Flonidan G4SRV.

Thanks,
Alaska

EDIT: Looks like the cable is available here: http://www.antratek.nl/USB-adapter.html
alaskabear
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by alaskabear »

eDsuB wrote:You should definitely ask your gridoperator (ie Stedin) to give you access to the P1 port of your smart meter. The free accessibility of the P1 is one of the requirements in the NTA8130 definition. You could make a reference to the NTA8130 P1 Companion guide by netbeheer nederland (use Google to find it, refer to version 3) when you talk to Stedin.

You are more than welcome to join the field test. I will email/PM you

Meanwhile I have just completed version 0.3 of my P1 Datalogger.
Version 0.1 was capable of logging P1 telegrams to screen
Version 0.2 was (on top of the 0.1 functionality) capable of logging P1 telegrams to csv files
Version 0.3 is (on top of the 0.2 functionality) capable of logging P1 telegrams to a MySQL database
I received the cable today and got it installed in no time... see the datastream coming in....

eDsuB, can you please make your Python datalogger available? I don't have the ability to PM, but perhaps a MOD can help us exchange contact info... unless yo want to share with the whole community of course... :-)
pjanssen
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pjanssen »

First of all i like to thank all of u for the information i found here. It saved me some time getting the thing to work.

Ill write in short what we did but i can tell it works now :D. We have a kamstrup 382 from enexis (Netherlands). It's installed in our home since Q3-2011 (don't know exactly when at the moment).

My father did the hardware and i wrote the software. We first tried to get some data out of the P1 port. It took us some time to find out how and when data was sent from the smart meter. My father made a serial cable for this (we did not buy one). After we got the terminal to work thanks to the information in verkenners post (Terminal settings: 9k6, 7databits, Even par, stop=1, No handshaking, Line mode, CR+LF). We hooked the meter to a arduino board with ethernet shield. I programmed the device to parse the information from out meter and send it via HTTP request to a server. The data is put into in mysql database on the server. I used http://code.google.com/p/flot/ to make some auto-refreshing graphs. Thats currently what we have. The webpage is still a bit quick and dirty but it works.

Advantage of using arduino is that it only uses a few watts of power. For my experience and embedded device like a arduino is more stable on a serial port that a computer/server/router. The disadvantage is that your storage is external for now. (It could be that someones could see the data). Of couse if u run a homeserver this is not a real problem (u can request directly your home server). But if someone wants to we could try to change it to write the data to the SD-card default on a ethernet shield.

I am willing to make my project available if someone is willing to test/use/help with it. This means getting an arduino (if ur not already have one) and try it (preferably with ethernet shield). This would require your to solder a bit to make a connector on the arduino bord to connect it to your meter. And currently the parser in the board is not very advanced. It will most likely not work directly on a other meter as for now the parser is a bit quick and dirty. But if someone is willing to try it let me know here. Else ill wait with publishing until i get time to clean up most of the code.

For connecting the meter i could ask my father to make a diagram on how to connect it. But i can't promise that :).

Let me know if u like to know something or have any other questions ill will get a notification when a replay will be posted here.

Regards,

Return to “Smart Metering Forum”