Carging an electric car

Forum about Smart meters for Energy, Gas and Water and all related
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Carging an electric car

Post by MindBender »

As a true petrol head, I have resisted for a long time, but I have finally given in: I have ordered an electric car.

Unfortunately electric cars are only usefull when you charge them. Our town has a great program that offers to install a charger with a reserved parking space right in front of your home. Unfortunately, other people are allowed to use this spot too and even though we don't have any other electric cars anywhere near to us, I'm just not looking forward to other people charging their cars in front of my house. Besides that, electricity costs €0.25 at a public charger, while it costs €0.22 on my home connection.

Unfortunately my home connection is very powerful: Only 1x 45A, and on that connection we already have a couple of heavy users, such as an induction stove, laundry dryer, etc. The connection can be increased, but because it enters our house right in the center, that would mean removing the concrete floor in our hallway, not looking forward to that either.

So a second connection comes into the picture. That will cost €750,00 to install and €200,00 annually. I would consider that, but there's a caveat: Half of our electricity prices are taxes. For annual consumption up until 10.000kW/h these taxes are €0,1423 per kW/h. Above that, these taxes drop down to €0,0530 per kW/h. That's almost €0,10 less! And out annual consumption without electric car is already 8.500kW/h, so with an electric car, we'll for sure break that 10.000kW/h barrier, cutting off almost half of our electricity price above that barrier!

So does anybody know the answer to this question:
If a house has two electricity connections, does the 10.000kW/h barrier apply on consumption on each of the two connections, or on consumption on both connections togher?

It really makes a big difference, because I expect to consume well over 10.000kW/h a year on charging the car alone, and 10.000 * (€0,1423 - €0,0530) = €893 annually.
Chiel

Re: Carging an electric car

Post by Chiel »

What is the maximum current that the charger will draw?

Maybe a 3 phase connection is interesting. A 3x25 connection cost about the same as a 1x40 (varies by provider)
You only pay some setup costs but a second connection is probably more expensive.
Niels

Post by Niels »

Maybe you're going a little bit "short through te corner" :-)
As far as i know the lower taxes only involve the part you are using above the 10.000kWh, so for the first 10.000kWh you pay the normal €0,1423.

Let's say you use 4000kWh/year for the house and 8500kWh/year for the car (12.500kWh in total), you only save 2,500 * (€0,1423 - €0,0530) = €223,25
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Chiel wrote:What is the maximum current that the charger will draw?
A lot: 11 or 22kW, depending on the type.
Maybe a 3 phase connection is interesting. A 3x25 connection cost about the same as a 1x40 (varies by provider)
You only pay some setup costs but a second connection is probably more expensive.
Now I've got 1x 45A, roughly 10kW for my whole house. 3x 25A Is roughly 17kW, so that's enough for a 11kW charger with power to spare for the rest of the house. But again; That requires removing (and restoring) the concrete floor in my hallway, so I consider that the last possibility. And 6kW remaining for the rest of my house requires me to start power-managing again: No dryer while cooking, etc. To get rid of that, I overhauled my fusebox less than a year ago, so I'd rather not go back to that.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Maybe you're going a little bit "short through te corner" :-)
As far as i know the lower taxes only involve the part you are using above the 10.000kWh, so for the first 10.000kWh you pay the normal €0,1423.
That's what I wrote, but let's not discuss symantics.

The problem is: My house uses 8.500kW/h and my car 13.500kW/h, both annually. The question is: If both have their own connection to the grid, will the lower rate count for 13.500kW/h - 10.000kW/h = 3.500kW/h, or will it count for 8.500kW/h + 13.500kW/h - 10.000kW/h = 12.000kW/h
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

MindBender wrote:If a house has two electricity connections, does the 10.000kW/h barrier apply on consumption on each of the two connections, or on consumption on both connections togher?
A 10.000kWh barrier applies to each connection separately. So if your consumption is close to this barrier, it is more economical to charge your car on the same connection.

Return to “Smart Metering Forum”