Hotwater flow meter / Badroom Radio

Forum about Smart meters for Energy, Gas and Water and all related
raymonvdm

Hotwater flow meter / Badroom Radio

Post by raymonvdm »

Today i tried to automate my shower radio using a 1-wire sensor and a Fibaro Universal Binairy sensor on the hotwater pipe in the shower. (If temperature >40 ventilation = on and radio = loud) At start it is working the temperature rises from 24 degrees to around 50 degrees which is fine for starting radio and ventilation. But when the shower is stopped it takes to long to set the radio to normal sound level because of the remaining heat in the pipes

Can i use an alternative way of measuring water-flow without to much hassle

I found one of these http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/M ... 88686.html and i`m also learning about ElektroMagnetic Flowmeters http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektromag ... ebietmeter
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hotwater flow meter / Badroom Radio

Post by Bwired »

do you have the opentherm gateway....domestic home water?
the alibabi link is a switch (on/off)
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I have the opentherm gateway, but domestic hot water is also on when using hot water in the kitchen or bedroom so not usable for the ventilation nor the bathroom speaker.

The alibaba link seems good enough when hot waterflows to the shower it needs to be on. But it should be stable / durable so no water flowing down the stairs because of the alibaba quality :-)

I also found one of these http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/BYL- ... 813622.htm (Manual Control :-) )
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

you have a hotwater sensor in the shower
so if otgw hot water is on and temp is above x then true. if water elsewhere is on the temp value is not true.
this narrows your fault options down to a minimal. also if you position your tempsensor the temp will drop down fast from 50 to <40 if water is turned off
i would not mess with putting devices in your piping, if you still want to do it this needs to be very very solid!
nico_gh2

Post by nico_gh2 »

Maybe add a timer delay; after the shower is started wait 15minutes or so and then act.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Raise the temperature level for the OFF event. Say if the pipe is warm then the temperature is between 45-55 degrees then let the OFF event trigger at 43 degrees.
Bram

Return to “Smart Metering Forum”