HS3 MQTT Plugin

Alles m.b.t. de Homeseer MQTT Broker Plugin van Willem Eradus (Dutch Forum)

Moderator: Willem4ever

geert-jan

Re: HS3 MQTT Plugin

Post by geert-jan »

yes,

I am currently testing the next release and expect to release the update this weekend.

Draft release notes:
General: MQTT plugin now runs on Windows, Linux, RPi2, Hometroller Zee S2.
MQTT configuration: Added username/password authentication for connecting to MQTT broker. Default: connect anonymous to MQTT broker.
Device configuration: Added a setting for subscriptions to update device value, string, or both for each device. Default: update value and string.
Device configuration: Ability to define own MQTT Topic for publish device Value update. Default: /homeseer/<device reference>/value. Note: The MQTT Topic for a device String update cannot be changed.

Regards,
Geert-Jan
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

thanks for your quick reply.
groeten,
Harry
noebl1
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by noebl1 »

@Geert-Jan Looking pretty good so far, thank you for the changes! Was able to switch all my devices to value only and can now format the output.

I'm hoping to try out the user/password auth tomorrow. Looking forward to disabling the anonymous option :)
noebl1
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by noebl1 »

@Geert-Jan: Just tried out username/password authentication and working great; I was paying attention at first and missed the anonymous check box...oops. The device value/string setting is working well so far too. I really like how you allow it per device within the device itself as makes it super simple to customize. Thank you again for the hard work!

Not a huge priority, but at some point think it's possible to add ssl cert support? Not a big deal, just curious.
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

If you guys open the log, do you get a lot publish messages? I still have this issue with version 1.2.

Since it floods my log I have to disable the plugin.

I have no device in my publish list, so wouldn't expect any of these messages? The device updates don't seem to be pushed, it looks like only a log message is created.

Update:
# Mqtt messages are indeed not send for devices not in publish list.
# Mqtt messages are being send for devices in the list
# Log messages for all devices still being created after adding one device to the publish list
groeten,
Harry
geert-jan

Post by geert-jan »

@pheaton: what is your logging setting?; if you set the loglevel to NONE or INFO you should get no messages in the log.

I will check the logging mechanism; It seems that there are too many false positives.

Geert-Jan
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I had loglevel info. Now with loglevel none I dont get the messages. With info I do get them.
groeten,
Harry
noebl1
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by noebl1 »

Is there a way to update device addresses for the MQTT Topic? I have some Python paho based MQTT scripts that grab the hostname as part of the topic path; i.e. /foo.domain/value. This weekend I did some work on the network and moved my sensors (IoT "stuff") over to a dedicated network with new sub-domain of "sensors" to the new path was /foo.sensors.domain/value. Took me a minute to realize why my sensors stopped updating in HS3. I went to update the existing values, but don't see a way to (Edit button in MQTT Plugin just takes me to the device where the address is grayed out.) I even went as far as opening up the HS3 database in SQLLite editor and don't see it there either. Is there a way to update devices addresses without creating new ones? Thank you!
geert-jan

Post by geert-jan »

Hi,

in HS3 the device address is supposed to be a fixed address, modifying via the HS3 device management webpage is not possible. In the MQTT plugin the device address is the topic name, and I understand your request to modify it.

I put your request on the feature list.

Regards,
Geert-Jan
noebl1
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by noebl1 »

@Geert-Jan You understand correct, looking to modify the topic name. Thank you!
AllanMar
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by AllanMar »

geert-jan wrote:Hi,

the MQTT plugin contains almost all the functionality you need. If you create a device, and enable that device at the MQTT Publish page the MQTT commands will be sent out when the device value/string changes. By adding the ON and OFF buttons to that device you can change the device state via the homeseer web interface or HSTouch.

The MQTT topic is default /homeseer/<device id>, and that is not what you need (e.g. home/openHAB/out/Samsung_mute/command). There is already a feature request to define an own topic instead of using the default topic.

A possible alternative is to use a script, and create the MQTT message yourself, just as in the MQTT control page. However, I checked the code and saw that I do not expose this interface yet.

Regards,
Geert-Jan
Any update on this or scripting functions? Alot of MQTT implementations uses a separate command/feedback topic.
I need to be able to have homeseer send commands to <topic>/set an update the devices value based upon <topic>. I'm thinking I'd have to do this via script but I haven't seen anything indicating the plugin has scripting functionality yet?

Since you don't appear interested in selling the plugin have you considered open sourcing it (github)? I've always been disappointed how little HomeSeer open source projects there are, although i've never been able to complete a plugin from scratch in the first place to open source one.
geert-jan

Post by geert-jan »

Hi,

no update on the scripting functions. Last couple of months I had little time to work on the plugin, next week I planned to pick up the domotica activities again. The MQTT scripting function is high on the feature list.

Homeseer and open source seems a no-go; I never found a homeseer plugin in the open source community. Let me think about it.

Regards,
Geert-Jan
m_b_e
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by m_b_e »

Phaeton wrote:I had loglevel info. Now with loglevel none I dont get the messages. With info I do get them.
Same here (HS3 Pro 3.0.0.297 Linux with MQTT 1.2.0.0).
AllanMar
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by AllanMar »

geert-jan wrote:Hi,

no update on the scripting functions. Last couple of months I had little time to work on the plugin, next week I planned to pick up the domotica activities again. The MQTT scripting function is high on the feature list.

Homeseer and open source seems a no-go; I never found a homeseer plugin in the open source community. Let me think about it.

Regards,
Geert-Jan
Thanks, there are a few HS plugins on github but none that appear completed/popular at all.
I'd love to be able to contribute some little things atleast.
glshomeseer
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by glshomeseer »

Hi,

I'm a new user of HS3, and just installed the MQTT plugin. It seems to work very well, but I believe some files might be missing from the distribution.

When I go to Plugins/MQTT/Subscriptions and manually add a subscription, when I hit "ADD", I get an error message - "404 Bad Request: /\deviceutility".

The same error message appears if I attempt to edit a subscription.

I've done a search on my HS3 installation, and I can't find any reference to deviceutility.

Any help would really be appreciated. (especially since I managed to add several bad subscriptions during my experimenting , and now I can't get rid of them :) ).

Gary Sanders

Return to “Homeseer MQTT Plugin Forum”