This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Stachel
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTG up and running, thermostat shows communications error

Post by Stachel »

Hi,

First post on this forum. Been lurking a while but there was no opportunity for involvement ;)

I built the Opentherm Gateway (LAN/WiFi) version and flashed it with the latest stable release (4.0.1).
  • Heater: Remeha Avanta
  • Thermostat: Remeha iSense.
When using otmonitor I can see some message IDs being repeated very often but others, like room temperature and -setpoint, burner status, are not transmitted at all. I know from experience that some messages are sent more than others, but I would expect the room setpoint and CH to be sent anyway.

The LED shows messages being transmitted, the 'Flame status' stays off, even when I request hot water. Once very minute or so, all four LEDs flash together, is this normal?

The real question is, why does my thermostat (Remeha iSense) show error code F203? It looks similar to http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?t=9860 but that's with a Calenta. Should I try an older FW?
--
Martijn
Stachel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: OTG up and running, thermostat shows communications error

Post by Stachel »

After a bit more resarch I found the 'PR=R' command.
It seems that OTGW does not recognize the Remeha iSense thermostat:

Code: Select all

15:15:38.231615  Command: PR=R
15:15:38.267881  PR: R=D
--
Martijn
Stachel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Stachel »

Update: I replaced the loose wires that connect the OTGW to the boiler/thermostat by a length of CAT5. Initially no change, still F203 in the iSense display.
Then I pulled the mains plug from the OTGW while leaving the serial connection to the TP-LINK in, and put it back after two seconds or so.

The problem seems to be gone now, the thermostat is now correctly identified too when I send 'PR=R' over the serial it responds with 'PR=I'.

So it seems that power-on is kind of sensitive...
--
Martijn
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

It sounds like you initially had some problems communicating with the boiler. This caused the thermostat to repeat messages multiple times. As a safety measure, the gateway resets itself when it receives the same message 64 times in a row. With roughly 1 message per second, that causes the LED's to flash about once every minute.

When normal communication doesn't get established, the thermostat never gets around to sending the messages the OTGW needs to determine which thermostat it's dealing with. That's why the PR=R command didn't report the correct thermostat type.

Power-on is not supposed to be sensitive. After replacing the wiring it may take a while for the iSense to conclude communications are working again and clear the F203 indication, though. The fact that it started working with your latest power-on sequence is probably coincidence. I would be able to draw more definitive conclusions if you have logs.

In future, you may want to post OTGW related questions in the Opentherm Gateway Forum. I read that on a more regular basis. I just came across your posts by chance.
Schelte
Stachel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Stachel »

hvxl wrote:It sounds like you initially had some problems communicating with the boiler. This caused the thermostat to repeat messages multiple times. As a safety measure, the gateway resets itself when it receives the same message 64 times in a row. With roughly 1 message per second, that causes the LED's to flash about once every minute. [...]
Good to know that.
hvxl wrote:I would be able to draw more definitive conclusions if you have logs.
That's what I thought, so I ran otmonitor for a couple of hours this afternoon with logging enabled. But of course OTGW did not have any problems while I was watching it :roll:

After that I switched off otmonitor and handed control back to Domoticz - it's still running fine. Except for an occasional

Code: Select all

Error: OTGW: Error: End of file
in the Domoticz logs. Early conclusion might be that Domoticz tries to reconnect to port 1001 of OTGW while it's previous connection is not completely 'cleaned up' yet, so the port is still in use.
hvxl wrote:In future, you may want to post OTGW related questions in the Opentherm Gateway Forum. I read that on a more regular basis. I just came across your posts by chance.
Sorry about that. I thought I was in the right place since it said 'Hvac, heating Opentherm Forum. Didn't realize I had to go one level deeper. Thanks for taking your time to reply and point me in the right direction :)

--
Martijn
--
Martijn
Slorf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Slorf »

Thanks !

I had the same problem after upgrading the firmware ( same Remeha boiler, same thermostat ), changing the voltage did the trick !

Alex

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”