OTMonitor does not connect (WIFI / USB)

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Jeroen001
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTMonitor does not connect (WIFI / USB)

Post by Jeroen001 »

Until recently my OpenTherm Gateway was working fine. It was connected by USB and a TP-LINK 710N. I controlled the gateway through my Vera 3 system.
Now I can not connect to the gateway with the OTMonitor application (IPadress:1001). I get a 'connection refused' error. I haven't made any changes on the TP-LINK. I also restored a working backup on the TP-LINK, but still the same error.

The Gateway works fine when I connect to it diretly to the USB port of my laptop (serial port connecion). It is running the latest firmware.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Jeroen.
hvxl

Re: OTMonitor does not connect (WIFI / USB)

Post by hvxl »

"Connection refused" means that the device at the IP address you're accessing doesn't accept a TCP connection on the specified port. So, either the device doesn't have a service listening on the port, you're not connecting to the correct device, or there may be a firewall in between.

Things you can do to check:
  • Switch off any firewalls, if only for figuring out what's going on.
  • Use the telnet command to connect to the IP address and port. If the firewall was not the problem, this will almost certainly also fail. If it doesn't, check that you are using the correct IP-address and port in OTmonitor.
  • Check your arp table (arp -a). The failed attempt should have put/refreshed an entry in there. Make sure that the MAC address listed matches the MAC address of the TP LINK (assuming you can obtain it from the TP LINK somehow). If it doesn't match, some other device may be on the same IP address that you selected for the TP LINK and it is responding to the connect request. The fixed IP address you configured on the TP LINK must be outside the DHCP range of your DHCP server.
  • If possible, log in on the TP LINK and check (netstat -an?) that something is listening on port 1001. If not, figure out how to restart the appropriate process. I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the TP LINK 710N. So I don't know which process that is, how to persuade it to restart, or if it is even possible to log in.
Note: This is a connection problem between your PC and the TP LINK. It doesn't have a direct relationship with the Opentherm Gateway.
Schelte
Jeroen001
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jeroen001 »

Thanks for the suggestions.
I will try them today.
Jeroen001
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jeroen001 »

Still no luck...

I can contact the tp link. I restored the original firmware on it (I made a backup of the tp link when i just got it). I configured it to my situation (ip adress). A month ago this setup worked fine (connected to port 1001). Now it doesn't.

The netstat -an command revealed that nothing on the tp link is listening to port 1001. Since I restored the original firmware I assume it never has.
yjb

Post by yjb »

I don't have exactly the same config (running a TP-LINK 703), but I guess it will be more or less the same.

It appears to me that ser2net is not started.

On the TP-LINK check that the ser2net process is running:

Code: Select all

root@WR703N-1:/etc/init.d# ps -w |grep ser2net
 1070 root       832 S    ser2net
 1622 root      1492 S    grep ser2net
check the ser2net configuration:
(In this case I'm using /dev/ttyUSB0, not sure if that is the same on your config)

root@WR703N-1:/etc# cat /etc/ser2net.conf
<SNIP>
1001:raw:15:/dev/ttyUSB0:9600 NONE 1STOPBIT 8DATABITS XONXOFF -RTSCTS
<SNIP>
if ser2net is not running and the config is in place try to run it manually

root@WR703N-1:/dev# ser2net
root@WR703N-1:/dev# ps -w |grep ser
 1632 root       832 S    ser2net
 1634 root      1492 S    grep ser
root@WR703N-1:/dev# netstat -an |grep 1001
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
If the above is working you can configure it to run automatically on startup (assuming that you are running openwrt) in the following manner:

You should have an init.d script similair to this one:

root@WR703N-1:/etc/init.d# cat ser2net
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
# Ser2Net Init Script

START=90
STOP=20
start() {
   ser2net
     }

stop(){
   killall ser2net
     }
In the system-startup section of the openwrt web interface make sure that the ser2net startup is enabled.

Hope this helps...
Jeroen001
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jeroen001 »

I got it up and running again!

It appeared thet ser2net was not installed. I really do not understand why since I restored a working image on the TP Link.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”