OTGW: pin18 not changing from 0-5V when pin3 to GND [SOLVED]

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

hvxl

Re: DIY OTGW: pin18 not changing from 0-5V when pin3 to GND

Post by hvxl »

Sorry, I was assuming standard IC pin numbering knowledge. So, the pins you highlighted are 7 & 8, not 5 & 6.

But the voltages you reported for pin 18 look OK now. With pin 3 open it should be below the reference voltage (default is 1.25V), and with pin 3 connected to ground it should be above it. Your measurements show that that's the case.

You can continue to verify the operation of the gateway.
Schelte
ThinkPad

Post by ThinkPad »

On pin 5 & 6 i measure 4,995V

I will connect it to my CV and thermostat now and see what it does.

I don't know if i keep using the OTGW, i plan on installing an app thermostat (Honeywell Round Connected).
Can i help with this project by sending you some information i gathered from my heater (Agpo Econpact 225C) and thermostat? (Remeha iSense)? Or isn't that useful for you?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

ThinkPad wrote:I don't know if i keep using the OTGW
What? :shock: After all the trouble to get it working, you are just going to toss it aside? :wink:
ThinkPad wrote:Can i help with this project by sending you some information i gathered from my heater (Agpo Econpact 225C) and thermostat? (Remeha iSense)? Or isn't that useful for you?
Uploading a log file is always appreciated, especially since there's no Agpo boiler in the list yet.
Schelte
ThinkPad

Post by ThinkPad »

Haha i'm sorry! I got it from someone, and think it is overkill for my situation :D (although 'overkill' doesn't exist in home automation land, see bwired's website).

Great, i will upload the sniffed communication!
ThinkPad

Post by ThinkPad »

Hmmm i have the OTGW logging for a while, but after a few minutes i constantly get 'error 03' messages. I turned the OTGW on/off a few times, but after a few minutes the errors start to come again.
Can this be hardware related?

I was able however, to override the setpoint on the thermostat. And i could also perfectly see all the temperatures and such...

I tried connecting the OTGW to my laptop with an PL2303 based USB>Serial cable, but also with an FTDI one (which tend to be better), but it occurs with both cables.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

See http://otgw.tclcode.com/debugging.html:
If you see nothing, or things like "Error 01" or "Error 03", the reference voltage may be wrong. You can modify it via Options → Settings (F5)
Some of your levels are probably close to the reference value and when things warm up, they may shift a little bit and end up on the wrong side of the reference voltage.

Error 03 is reported by the gateway, it's not a problem with the serial connection.
Schelte
ThinkPad

Post by ThinkPad »

Ok, i put the reference voltage 1 step higher (to 1,4xx) and that seems to fix it.

How do you want the logging? Do i need to tick the box "Include details of bit fields" ?

And i just start otmonitor, and then plug in the power of the OTGW? Is that enough to capture all traffic?
Or do i need to perform additional steps? (like powercycling the heater)
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

No need to "Include details of bit fields", I know what most of the bits mean ;-)

Powering up the gateway will work. It's even enough to pull the thermostat off the wall and put it back. If you press F2 in otmonitor, select the first two checkboxes, and click "Set Clock" before you do that, you won't even have to manually configure the date and time on the iSense.
Schelte
ThinkPad

Post by ThinkPad »

I pulled the thermostat and let the gateway monitor for an hour. Uploaded the logging to your website.

I described my thermostat as 'Remeha iSense v19' as there exists newer versions of it (i believe they are at 24+ or so). Good idea, because in the table i see the dots/bullets are different from the iSense that is already in there.
I didn't see any errors after i upped the reference voltage setting, so the OTGW is now working fine.

Thanks for your quick and generous help!
ugard
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: [SOLVED] OTGW: pin18 not changing from 0-5V when pin3 to GND

Post by ugard »

Hello
I've got similar problem.
Voltage at 18 pin of IC1 when 3 and 5 are disconnected is near 0V. When pin 3 and 5 are connected, voltage on pin 18 is 1V.
Other measurements found on this thread - all with pin 3 and 5 connected:
- X1 = 17V
- D9 = 3.94V
- R2 = 1.1V
- R3 = 2.82V
- pin 5 and 6 on OK1 - 4V
- resistance between IC1 18 and 5 pin = 322 ohm
WIthout PIC in IC1 socket voltage across IC1 14 and 5 is about 7V, after inserting PIC voltage drops to 5V, application connects to PIC by serial and receives / sends commands.

Which part would you suggest to check next ? All resistors have proper resistance (measured with multimeter), only R8 is 1k instead of 1.5k.
ThinkPad

Post by ThinkPad »

In my case there was one resistor swapped accidentally with an other resistor. Swapping them back made the problem disappear.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

ugard wrote:Which part would you suggest to check next ? All resistors have proper resistance (measured with multimeter), only R8 is 1k instead of 1.5k.
These measurements are with X1 looped to X2, right? It sounds like you may have mixed up D10 with D11 and Q1 with Q4. Or maybe you put Q1 the wrong way around. In any case check that Q1 is a BC558A (or a replacement PNP transistor) and the voltage across D10 is 15V or thereabouts.
Schelte
ugard
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ugard »

Yes, X1 and X2 are looped. Transistors are put as on assembly sheet. D10 is 15V zener, diode D11 is 4v3 zener. Voltage on D10 is close to 15V, voltage on D11 is fluctuating between 130 and 150mV.
I'll give board for checking to friend who has more experience with electronics. Maybe one of transistors is blown up?
hvxl

Re: OTGW: pin18 not changing from 0-5V when pin3 to GND [SOLVED]

Post by hvxl »

That's all correct. Assuming Q1 isn't blown, that means there's only around 14mA coming into X2. Before looping X1 to X2, did you measure the current on X1 as described in the second paragraph of the opentherm interfaces troubleshooting section?
Schelte
ugard
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: OTGW: pin18 not changing from 0-5V when pin3 to GND [SOLVED]

Post by ugard »

We have solved problem. Seems that D9 gives 4V instead of 4.7V - we have no idea why. Because of that we had 1.1V between 3 and 4 pin of PC827. In specification it's written it works between 1.2 and 1.4 V, so we changed R3 to potentiometer. At about 160 ohms voltage on input of PC827 achieves 1.15V and enables transisitor between pin 5 and 6, voltage at pin 18 gets to 3.5V and whole board works.
After connecting to thermostat and boiler I get data in otmonitor application, so it's solved for me too :D

I've got Celcia 20 thermostat and De dietrich MCR3 boiler - I don't see boiler in stats, so I'll upload some logs after gathering. On first look from major parameters I don't see only DHW temperature,

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”