This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

emmeesse68
Starting Member
Starting Member

"Can't find tdom package" after installing it

Post by emmeesse68 »

Hi all,

maybe this is a dumb question but 'm not an experienced developer and I didn't play around with TCL before.

I had to repackage OTMonitor to make it run on my Debian 64-bit box. I found these:
- tclkit-8.6.3-linux-amd64
- sdx-20110317.kit

OTMonitor runs smoothly ant its webserver is working as well. Only yesterday I tried to set up the certification authority for the web server and in the certificates page I clicked on "next" with the "set up Certification Authority" checked, a pop-up appeared saying "cannot find tdom package".
I didn't think much and tried to addd such a package with "apt-get install tdom" - the command appearently succeeded. As I killed/restarted OTMonitor and tried again, the error came up once more, unchanged.
I checked the tdom package and it was actually reported as installed: tdom_0.8.3-1_amd64.deb. Still the certification authority wizard can't find it...

What could I be missing?

Thanks

m
hvxl

Re: "Can't find tdom package" after installing it

Post by hvxl »

This is exactly why I provided tclkits that include tdom, tls, and dbus. If you use a tclkit you obtained elsewhere, that won't include those packages. Simply installing the packages for your OS doesn't help because the tclkit doesn't look for them where they get installed.

The easiest way to get things working is to make a symbolic link to the package directory in the lib directory of the unzipped otmonitor sources. So something like:

cd otmonitor.vfs/lib
ln -s /usr/share/tcl/tdom0.8.3

Adjust as appropriate for your distribution. You will probably have to do the same thing for the tls package.
Schelte
emmeesse68
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by emmeesse68 »

Thanks Schelte, I'll try the symlink solution. I didn't repackage with the tclkit you provided because it's appearently an x86 based but my debian box is 64 bit.

Can you point me at the source you got your kits from? There may be an amd64 platform one as well...
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Running 32-bits applications on 64-bits linux usually just works. On some distributions you may have to install 32-bits libraries, but you'll probably need those for some other programs as well.

I built the kits myself using Kitcreator and then added the packages with some hackery. But linking them into the lib directory should work just as well.
Schelte
emmeesse68
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by emmeesse68 »

hvxl wrote:Running 32-bits applications on 64-bits linux usually just works. On some distributions you may have to install 32-bits libraries, but you'll probably need those for some other programs as well.

I built the kits myself using Kitcreator and then added the packages with some hackery. But linking them into the lib directory should work just as well.
Schelte, you certainly did a great job providing everything already made, I'm trying to learn something myself but tcl and programming is beyond my actual skills (I used to write some shell scripts in the past but it was at Uni, some 20+ years ago...) thus I have to rely on information found over the Internet and on the goodwill from this forum...

Actually I resorted to repackaging with 64-bit tclkit because my debian box refused to run the 32-bit otmonitor downloaded from your site, no matter how many 32-bit libraries I added. I found hints on the web that 32-bits software on 64-bits linux environment is giving a hard time to more than a few people...

Anyway, the symlink worked. I added links to the tdom and tls folders, repackaged, and now the cert wizard works just fine.

Now I'm looking into an issue that comes to the web server that seems to be using some obsolete sslV3 protocol that won't be accepted by any of my browsers. As I said above, I symlinked tls package as well (it reports v. 1.6) and I receive no errors running the web server in http + https, just my browsers won't connect and I get warnings in my debian console stderr about some SSLv3 failed handshake - because on client side IE, FF and Chrome are not allowing that protocol anymore to avoid POODLE attacks (as reported on Mozilla pages linked in the error message). I think it's just a matter of finding the default config file for the tcl webserver or to throw in some options someplace... Didn't symlink dbus package for now but I think it's not related.

Thanks

m
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

You're right, I forgot to enable tls. Adding the option '-tls1 1' to the tls::socket command on line 32 in web.tcl should remedy that.
Schelte
emmeesse68
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by emmeesse68 »

It worked, thanks a lot!

I kinda spotted the '-tls1 1' option in the TLS package documentation... just couldn't understand where to slip it in. Now it's working perfectly.

thanks
emmeesse68
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by emmeesse68 »

Schelte, ...I think it could be wise (from a security standpoint) to disable the old SSL protocols, along with enabling TLS, to avoid exploitations of the server using some browser that won't reject those protocols.

If I'm not wrong, this could be achieved by adding '-ssl2 0 -ssl3 0 -tls1 1' in the line you mentioned... didn't try it yet, but if you're modifying the code for the next release I'd consider checking it out. Do you think it could be viable, or it's overkill?

Thanks

m

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”