This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

webside
Starting Member
Starting Member

which OT gateway compatible with ACV Kombi Kompakt HRE 36/30

Post by webside »

Dear sirs,

Can anyone tell me which OT gateway can be compatible with the heating system "ACV Kombi Kompakt HRE 36/30"?
URL of the heating system: http://www.acv.com/be-nl/03_04/287/app.rvb
I understood that the OT module (inside the heating system) is from Honeywell.

ACV (in Belgium) is Intergas in the Netherlands.

And does anyone have the OT ID list of the above Honeywell module which can be found in my heating system?

Thank you in advance for your help! :)
Kind regards
Filip
Templar

Re: which OT gateway compatible with ACV Kombi Kompakt HRE 36/30

Post by Templar »

I guess it's (almost) identical to the "Intergas Kombi Kompakt HReco" entry at this webpage: http://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi#boilers
webside
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by webside »

Templar wrote:I guess it's (almost) identical to the "Intergas Kombi Kompakt HReco" entry at this webpage: http://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi#boilers
Thank you for your reply.
If it is identical to the boiler you said, what will be possible (& the limitations) for me to do with the gateway?

I will connect the gateway to the ACV boiler & to my Loxone domotic system.
Loxone will control my boiler (through the DIY gateway).

Will that be possible?

P.s.: i will not have any thermostat any more, only the gateway (coupled to my Loxone system) & the boiler.

Kind regards,
Filip
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Any Opentherm Gateway worthy of the name should be compatible with an Opentherm boiler, unless you have something special in mind when you say "compatible". The boiler may not be able to report some specific pieces of information, like the water pressure, or DHW flow rate. But all the basic controls should work.

The OTGW I made primarily interacts with the thermostat, so the compatibility on that front is a greater challenge. That's why I did create a thermostat compatibility topic, while I didn't consider it necessary to do the same for boilers.

If you want to use the gateway without a thermostat, you must transfer all of the thermostat's intelligence into the domotica system. I'm not sure how feasible that is with Loxone. But if you can get Loxone to produce the necessary parameters (like Control setpoint, CH-enable, Max Relative Modulation level), you can feed them to the gateway and it will forward them to the boiler.

Just don't expect to be able to simply send a room temperature and a setpoint to the gateway and then your house magically gets heated. The gateway needs a thermostat to perform that function. Also beware that if your domotica system loses the connection with the gateway or crashes after it set a control setpoint of 70 degrees or so, your house may get quite toasty.
Schelte
webside
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by webside »

Thank you for your reply.
Loxone can handle all options/parameters of heating (even modulation of the boiler).
In all rooms, i installed a 1-wire temp. sensor which sends the actual temp. of each room to the Loxone domotica system.
And all rooms have their own heating circuit (controlled by a 0/1 electric valve for the floor heatings and a 0-10v valve for the wall heatings).
How can Loxone lose the connection with the gateway? Is the connection not stable? And is the gateway running stable?
And can i somehow not install a kind of "security" to prevent the house to get toasty?
Which kind of connections (RS232, ...) are possible between your gateway & Loxone?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I am not familiar with Loxone, so I can't comment on all the possible ways it can go wrong, or how you can create a fail-safe mechanism for it.

My gateway has an RS232 interface. The web-shop also offers USB and LAN versions. I have had no involvement with those spin-offs. But between the RS232 interface of the gateway and Loxone you can put equipment to create all kinds of connections; USB, LAN, Wifi, Ethernet over power, RF, IR, you name it.
Schelte
webside
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by webside »

hvxl wrote:I am not familiar with Loxone, so I can't comment on all the possible ways it can go wrong, or how you can create a fail-safe mechanism for it.

My gateway has an RS232 interface. The web-shop also offers USB and LAN versions. I have had no involvement with those spin-offs. But between the RS232 interface of the gateway and Loxone you can put equipment to create all kinds of connections; USB, LAN, Wifi, Ethernet over power, RF, IR, you name it.
My concerning is:
will i be able to control my boiler (ACV Kombi Kompakt HRE 36/30) with your gateway?
will all basic/needed functions (tap water temp., modulation, ...) work?

I do not want to order your gateway and not be able to use it with my boiler... . If some functions do not work, can the firmware be adapted? If yes, who can do that?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I'm not sure what you expect to hear from me. I already indicated that if you can generate the correct parameters, the OTGW can send them to the boiler. Since that's also how a thermostat controls a boiler, it should work. But if you're looking for a 100% guarantee, then that's more than I can offer.

By the way, tap water temperature is not normally controlled by the thermostat, so that's not something you can control via opentherm, although some boilers allow you to change the maximum tap water temperature via opentherm.

If the OTGW firmware needs to be adapted, you can do that yourself. The sources are available.
Schelte
webside
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by webside »

Thank you for your support and answers!
If needed, where can i find the instructions/info what and how to modify the source files of the firmware?
And where to find the custom (e.g. for Intergas boilers) firmwares please?

Kind regards,
Filip
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

There's a readme.txt file included with the sources that provides instructions on how to set up the development environment and how to create a hex file from the sources.

There are no custom firmwares. The standard firmware works for Intergas boilers too.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”