Modification of firmware

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTG) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Modification of firmware

Postby antst » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello,

This is question mostly to hxvl,

I am working toward solution where I manually calculate and control CS, seems to be most reasonable, after all in my setup (15 heaters with controlled valves and bunch of thermostats in the rooms). But, in case of connectivity loss, it would be nice to have option to revert to thermostat control (which I keep exactly for this reason) as a fallback option. I.e. to have expiration timer on custom controls : for example, when I set CS override, it remains active for some period of time, let say 20 min, and if there is no new value set over this period of time, then it reverts back to CS=0.
Practically, I would modify command with simple extension, something like
CS=0:TM=20 and then OTGW knows that this setting is valid for 20 min only.
How difficult to implement this?
antst
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Modification of firmware

Postby hvxl » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 pm

It shouldn't be too difficult. But of course that depends on your skill level. I would probably go for a fixed timeout, or otherwise simplify the command to something like CS=50*20. That is easier to parse.
You may have to remove some other feature that you don't use to free up enough space for your addition.
Schelte
hvxl

Re: Modification of firmware

Postby antst » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Huh.
Looked at ASM code. Last time I used assembler was like 10 years ago, and even then it was optimisation of single function, not complete code. Complete asm code was something like 20 years ago last time :)
And while assembler itself isn't a problem, trying to get complete picture of the code looking at ASM files is :)

I'd say I am clearly impressed. Nowadays most of people would just throw more memory (PIC with more memory) and write in C :)

According to what I see, assuming that I want to add fixed timer to CS value ONLY, then I need to create additional timer with fixed value, and reset it when I receive CS value. Sounds quite easy... :)
antst
Starting Member
Starting Member

Return to Opentherm Gateway Forum