This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

KEES_ELEC
Starting Member
Starting Member

OpenTherm Gateway no TCP/IP address

Post by KEES_ELEC »

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and I just bought an opentherm gateway plus USR TCP232, I have soldered everything and connected the board to the network.

The configuration has a 24 VDC power supply. After power up one led on the board is blinking green, on the UTP connector one led is green steady and one is flashing orange. The board is wired connected to a switch and the switch is connected to the modem / router.

The problem is, that the modem /router does not show the device and can not determine the TCP/IP address.

I followed the trouble shooting of the site below, but could not find a suggestion to that problem.
http://otgw.tclcode.com

Has anybody a clue of the problem and what is the meaning of the orange led flasshing?

Kind regards Kees
hvxl

Re: OpenTherm Gateway no TCP/IP address

Post by hvxl »

You have a basic problem with the USR TCP232, which isn't part of the original OTGW design. So naturally no solution can be found on the OTGW web site.

However, a quick glance at the USR TCP232 documentation shows that the device initially has a static IP address of 192.168.0.7. This means that it doesn't do a DHCP request to obtain an IP address on the subnet of your router. If your router happens to use the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet, you have to make sure there isn't another device with the 192.168.0.7 address, otherwise you will have a conflict. If your router uses a different subnet, you have to temporarily configure your PC with an IP address (other than 192.168.0.7!) on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet to be able to access the device. You can then configure it to use DHCP, or a fixed IP address on your normal subnet.
Schelte
KEES_ELEC
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by KEES_ELEC »

Hi hvxl,

Thanks for the reply I agree, not really a OTGW problem, but one of the prerequisites to get it done.

Your answer kept me thinking my IP addresses are in the pool limited to 192.168.1.XXX (typical dutch I think), so it will not connect anyway.

Is there a way to change the TCP/IP address of the OTGW?

Regards Kees
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

As I indicated, temporarily configure an IP address in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet (for example 192.168.0.2) on your PC. Then you can communicate with the USR TCP232 and change it to DHCP, or to an address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.
Schelte
KEES_ELEC
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by KEES_ELEC »

Hi hvxl,

Thanks I am not sure how to do that (configure an IP address in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet on my PC), but I will try to figure that out tomorrow.

Regards Kees
KEES_ELEC
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by KEES_ELEC »

Hi hvxl,

I connected the otwg to my laptop (UTP cable), changed the properties of IPv4 of my laptop (adapter settings) I changed the IP address of the laptop to 192.168.0.1, the subnet as usual and the default gateway my modem router address. Then I connected via 192.168.0.7 in the browser and indeed connection, it asked for a user name and password. Changed the IP address to my range and it is working.

I mention this because maybe more people might have this problem.

Thanks a lot for your advice. Now I will continue to explore the gateway !!! :)

Regards Kees
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

OK. Then for other people having the same problem:
  • I suggested 192.168.0.2 as the address to use on the PC because 192.168.0.1 is the default gateway in the initial configuration of the USR TCP232, and the PC won't act as a gateway.
  • Setting the default gateway on the PC to your router is useless in this configuration, because the PC won't be able to reach it. It's strange to me that it was even accepted. The default gateway should always be in a subnet that exists on one of the interfaces of a machine.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”