Thanks for helping ATAG E320S

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Marchel
Starting Member
Starting Member

Thanks for helping ATAG E320S

Post by Marchel »

The OTGW as a stand alone now works well with the ATAG E320S with separate boiler. and (only) floor heating controllers (on/off).
Thank you everyone who helped me with this!
The original connections have not been changed.
The floor heating controller (s) are located on the on / off connection of the boiler.
I connected the OTGW to the opentherm connection, and no thermostat is connected to the OTGW.
The OTGW is in Gateway mode because no data is received in monitoring mode.
The boiler is simply controlled via the on / off control of the floor heating.
With the AA = 26 command I also received the DHW temperature.
My goal to only read data for the time being has been successful.

I only have 150 errrors 03 and 210 errors 04 in 24 hours.
Please advise whether I should / can do something about this and what I can do about it.
Marchel
hvxl

Re: Thanks for helping ATAG E320S

Post by hvxl »

This amounts to one error every 4 minutes. That's not so bad. The errors may be caused by the boiler or thermostat itself, or it may be noise picked up by the wiring or the OTGW.

Boilers usually only have a simple microprocessor. Some boilers have been observed to have trouble generating a clean OT signal when they are actually heating the water. Presumably the temperature control code gets priority over the part that produces the OT signal.

By looking at the distribution of the errors, you may be able to find a pattern. If you get most of the errors when the heating is on, the errors are probably caused by the boiler. In that case there is not much you can do about it. If your OTGW is located very close to the boiler, you can try to move it a bit farther away, to eliminate the possibility that the boiler causes RF noise that is picked up by the OTGW.

If the errors only happen during daylight, the OTGW may be experiencing interference from the inverter of your solar panels. Moving the OTGW somewhere else may also help in this case.

Error 04 indicates a parity error. When the errors are distributed quite evenly, there is only a very small chance that 2 parity errors will happen in the same message, turning a message into some other valid message. You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery. If you want to try and improve it anyway, you could replace the cable with one that has thicker wires, especially if the cable on the side the errors occur is quite long.

I know from your other posts that you are using the OTGW stand-alone. So you probably have it located near the boiler. Then the cable won't make much of a difference. You can still try to move the OTGW away from the boiler to see if that improves things. But once again, 1 error per 4 minutes it not really something to worry about.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”