This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Charlie-R
Starting Member
Starting Member

Question on Opentherm Gatway and wifi wall thermostat

Post by Charlie-R »

Hello,

I have a fuel boiler with a control thermostat in a building outside the main house. For legacy reasons the internal temperature sensor / wall sensor was never installed and the wires back to the house do not exist to add one. I have recently pulled an Ethernet cable to the boiler room and was looking at solutions to add a wall thermostat in the house through the home network which is how I stumbled upon the opentherm gateway project. I have read through compatible devices and the documentation but I am still unclear whereas it would technically work with what I have in mind.

ideally I am looking for a wi-fi wall thermostat which could then communicate to the opentherm gateway through the existing network. All thermostat with wifi I am seeing use it to offer cloud/remote access and still require to be connected via wires. has anyone managed to get the platform to function in a scenario similar to what I am describing here?

thanks a lot !

Charlie
hvxl

Re: Question on Opentherm Gatway and wifi wall thermostat

Post by hvxl »

There don't seem to be any technical reasons that would make your idea impossible. But I would be very surprised if there is a thermostat commercially available that works this way.

It could be an interesting project to take a Raspberry Pi Zero W, a temperature sensor, an OLED display and a few buttons to make such a device.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”