Opentherm Gateway connected to the EZL-70 (IP)

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Opentherm Gateway connected to the EZL-70 (IP)

Post by Bwired »

blb

Re: Cheap RS232 - Ethernet

Post by blb »

Hi all,

I do like the idea to get all RS232 I'm currently using (Opentherm Gateway, Chint PV Conveter) and the one I want to use (Harman Kardon Receiver) connected via Ethernet and did see the EZL-70 solution Bwired is using. I have searched and found a cheaper alternative. The Serial RS232 to Ethernet TCP IP converter module from Chinese supplier USR.I ordered 4 via Paypal checkout on November 30th and did receive them on December 6th via DHL.
rs232-ethernet.JPG
rs232-ethernet.JPG (120.13 KiB) Viewed 17781 times
Total cost $ 116,-- (€ 92,01). Configuration should be possible via Ethernet, but for me initial configuration (see update below) was only possible via RS232 port. The latest setup program (Windows only) is available from their website usr.cn/Uploads/Download/201212/USR-TCP2 ... p-V4.0.rar, with the older versions it did not work....

I have the 1ste one now successfully in use with the Opentherm Gateway.

20130101 UPDATE: I was NOT able to initially configure the converters via Ethernet, the initial configuration was only possible via RS232 for me. After initial configuration via RS232 to TCP server mode with an IP address in by LAN subnet, configuration (e.g. to other IP address) is possible as well. I have changed the text above accordingly.
Last edited by blb on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Opentherm Gateway connected to the EZL-70 (IP)

Post by Bwired »

Looks great and much cheaper device :-)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I'm thinking of buying this one:
http://en.usr.cn/Ethernet-Module/Dual-s ... odule.html
for another project ..
If someone is interested too, and sharing shipping costs just let me know :)
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Hi Bernard,

I've bought the same module and use the advised link to configurate, but sofar no luck.
With or without the max, no response from the otgw.

Can you please give me a " how to" or explain what you have done to get it work?

The otgw is now connected with a rs232 to usb cable and a belkin usb to ethernet hub.
This give some times connection errors and I will try to get a more stable connection.

Arjo.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Rebel wrote: With or without the max, no response from the otgw.
If I were you I would take it one step at a time.
First get the OTGW working the 'original' way, get a long lasting stable connection and then, when everything is working 100% OK, start with the TCP/IP.
Cause if you don't, you have too much things to worry about, you don't know where to look for what is causing your problems..
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

I ordered the same modules and used one to make my Powermax Pro ethernet enabled in minutes (see photo). A great feature is that the module support 4 simultaneous connections, which allowed me to connect from Homeseer using my plugin and a virtual com port driver and from linux using straight TCP/IP at the same time. Although my plugin was able to use the virtual com poort (with the free driver that came on the CD), the Visonic Remote Programmer does not recognize the COM port.

EDIT: The modules I ordered are not exactly the same as in mentioned in the previous post, I ordered these ones: http://en.usr.cn/RS232-serial-to-ethern ... -ip-module
Attachments
IMG_0067.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg (59.36 KiB) Viewed 17704 times
IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0069.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 17704 times
Rene.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thanks Robert,

The problem with the current setup is a failure to open the comport. This happens once a week, twice a day or so.
Thats why I'd like to try TCP/IP

Arjo.
blb

Post by blb »

Arjo,

I have updated my first post in this topic, it seems for me initial configuration did/does only work via RS232! Did you manage to configure your module(s) already?
Bernard
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Bernard,

Thanks for your reply,
But I can't get the setup working. I've reset the module to factory settings. I can configure the module with both rs 232 as net setup. The settings are: TCP server, IP 192.168.1.100, subnet 255.255.255.0, 9600 none 8 1 en poort 80.
I can ping the mudule and connect with otmonitor, but there is no responce from the gateway in the log.
I've checked en rechecked, even switch RX and TX, but no difference. The old setup ( rs232-usb-belkin-comport) is working for now. But not stable, yesterday the comport issue in HS. So I really want to try this module, but I don' t know how.

Arjo.
blb

Post by blb »

Arjo,

Strange. Reading you post I understand you can communicate with the OTGW direct via the COM port. That's step 1. You can check this via e.g. PUTTY (settings: Serial, proper COM port and baud rate). The converter should be just replacing rs232 interface with TELNET interface.

Maybe the following steps can help:
- The 5V power supply for the converter module should be able to deliver the required power (the 5V from the OTGW is not able to deliver enough current)!
- configure the converter module (via com port!?) (TCP Server, IP address, port, COM port settings);
- check proper configuration converter module: you should be able to ping the converter module on the configured IP address and connect to / read the configuration of the module via the suppliers setup software;
- connect converter module to OTGW;
- check communication to the OTGW via e.g. PUTTY (settings: TELNET, IP address, port) , e.g. command PR=A should give the version of the OTGW firmware[/list]
Bernard
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Bernard,

Thank you again!
I've completed your checklist, the power supply is 5V dc 2A, configured a new module as described but no result.
After I resolder the rs232 connector I found out that the flat cable connector was false!
So today I bought a new one (I prefere connectors, so I can easely switch to the "working situation") and YESSSSS,
its working now!

Arjo.
blb

Post by blb »

Arjo,

great!! In a lot of cases the root cause is very basic, but it takes a while to find it.....
Bernard
thefrip
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by thefrip »

Hi,

I am up-ing this post as I am trying to do as René to connect my Visonic through Ethernet. I have a question (mainly to René I guess), as I am using the same USR-TCP232 device, is there a simple way to power the device from the Visonic? Of course I can go the 7805 route connected to the battery to reduce from 9.6V to 5V, but I suspect there should be 5V already somewhere on the board, maybe without even soldering (this to avoid voiding the warranty of my Powermax).

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer.
Rgds,

thefrip
nlrb

Post by nlrb »

You can hook it up directly to the 3.75V of the PowerMax. See this topic.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”