Overriding temperature setpoint with OTG and iSense

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

hvxl

Re: Overriding temperature setpoint with OTG and iSense

Post by hvxl »

It seems the iSense needs more time than you gave it. Whether a remote setpoint change is permanent or temporary is indicated in a DataID 100 message. Looking at other iSense logs it seems that this message is only generated by the iSense around once every 12 minutes. Your log shows such a message at 16:02, so most likely it never occurred between the time you set the override and the scheduled change. This means that at the time of the scheduled change, the iSense may not have known that the remote setpoint override was temporary and apparently it did not apply the scheduled change.

I think you can only draw a definite conclusion after you try the TT command at least 15 minutes before the next scheduled change.

Was the scheduled change actually for 16:00 on the day you tested (24/12)? You indicated that when you manually set a temporary temperature the thermostat showed that it would be in effect until 16:00 25/12/2012, i.e. a day later.
Last edited by hvxl on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schelte
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

bus147 wrote:Unfortunately the WDT reset occured
Do you still get those WDT resets? I wrote a program to analyze the subroutine calls in my assembly code and it showed there are no more calls that nest too deep. Neither are there any illegal jumps out of subroutines that could cause the stack getting messed up.

Since you are the only one reporting this issue, I'm starting to suspect that occasionally there is something special going on with your opentherm line, like some high frequency signal being picked up by the wiring. If the input switches between high and low too frequently, interrupts may be firing faster than the PIC can handle them. That would severely interfere with the execution of normal code and as a result it doesn't get a chance to reset the watchdog timer in time.

I can't imagine a high frequency signal passing through the opto-couplers, so my guess is the problem is on the thermostat connection. I think you indicated your gateway is located near the boiler, which makes that even more likely (long line to the thermostat). Is there a way for you to test with the gateway and thermostat much closer together? If my suspicion is right, you may be able to fix the problem by putting a small capacitor (100nF or so, you may have to experiment a little) parallel to R6 or between the two terminals of X1.
Schelte
sj3fk3

Post by sj3fk3 »

What is the right firmware for OTGW and iSense at the moment? I've got 3.3.1 if I'm not mistaken that an iSense specific firmware that fixes the overriding temperature setpoint issue. But can't find it on the site, I do see a new firmware (3.4) but there is no mention of iSense issues in the changelog. Should I upgrade to 3.4 or not?
Kind Regards,
Greg.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

sj3fk3

Post by sj3fk3 »

Let me rephrase the question: Will there always be a iSense branch or will the fixes for the iSense be incorporated in future versions? And/or are the fixes already in versie 3.4 (that is newer then the firmware mention in: http://domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f ... =30#p60441)?
Kind Regards,
Greg.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

The isense147 firmware was an experiment requested by bus147. He hasn't indicated how he wants to move forward with that, so as far as I'm concerned it was a one-time thing. Do you really need the change that went into that firmware? As I understand it, it was just a work-around for a bug in the specific version of the iSense that bus147 has.

Version 3.4 of the firmware doesn't give iSense owners anything new. There's one fix specific for the Celcia 20 and another related to changing the remote setpoint, which doesn't work on an iSense anyway. So I would suggest you to stick with 3.3.1 for now.
Schelte
sj3fk3

Post by sj3fk3 »

Ok, thanks for the update Schelte!
Kind Regards,
Greg.
sj3fk3

Post by sj3fk3 »

Reading back the tread (again). I think I have the same iSense firmware version as bus147 and will probably run into the same bugs. I'm still trying to understand what exactly is going on with the iSense and the OTGW. I'm not sure what currently working and what's not (at all). I thought the Overriding temperature setpoint does work with a workaround? or not at all?

Also, I'm more then willing to test any firmware and any test situation. I'll can even reprogram the iSense to do really short programs so we don't have to wait hours or days to find out whether or not this fix works. Just tell me (slowly :) what you want me to do and I'll do my best :)
Kind Regards,
Greg.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I have just posted firmware 4.0a4 on http://www.tclcode.com/opentherm/development.html. It contains an experiment of a different method to try and change the remote setpoint on an iSense thermostat. I have no idea if it works, so I would like someone with an iSense to test the following:
  • Start otmonitor and save the Opentherm messages to a logfile.
  • Use the TQ command to set a remote setpoint.
  • Wait for the setpoint to be picked up by the thermostat.
  • Use the TQ command to set a different setpoint.
  • Wait another few minutes to see if the new setpoint gets accepted.
  • Provide the logs to me.
Schelte
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

First experiences with newest firmware send by mail to you.
My home automation blog: https://rutg3r.com
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Rutger wrote:First experiences with newest firmware send by mail to you.
Ah well, so much for that idea. :(
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”