Support for multiple listeners

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

nlrb

Support for multiple listeners

Post by nlrb »

I've been working on creating a Vera plugin to work with the OTG. This all works OK and I must say I'm very happy that I can now control my central heating via Vera! However unfortunately the responses the OTG sens are not unambiguous. Now I understand that this is a serial interface and there is normally only one master and one slave, but I've connected my OTG via an Ethernet->TTL device. One of the fun things of this is that you can connect from multiple sources (Vera, PC, etc.) to OTG. So multiple devices can send a command like 'PR=G' to the OTG. As a result they will all get the message '0' or '1' back.

The device that has issued the command can parse this, as it knows that it has sent 'PR=G'. However, the others do not and the command sent might just a well have been 'PR=T'.

Would it be possible to prefix all responses with the request? I.e.

Code: Select all

PR=G
PR=G: 1
PR=A
PR=A: OpenTherm Gateway 3.4
TT=21.0
TT=21.0: OK
This would enable all listeners to process the information.
RedNax
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Support for multiple listeners

Post by RedNax »

Since your ethernet/ttl device is the only thin which 'knows' about the multiple connections, in it's current state the gw won't be able to distinguish between them. The commands would have to be changed to allow the addition of a label... PR=<cmd>=<label> for instance..
nlrb

Post by nlrb »

The Gateway also does not need to know. It is not necessarily a problem that multiple devices can send commands (e.g. reporting commands). But is would help if the response is prefixed by the command sent, such that the listeners know the command that was sent.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I implemented it, a little bit differently than you requested, in firmware 4.0a9. I hope that will work for you.
Schelte
nlrb

Post by nlrb »

Thanks! Even better to confirm what command has exactly been executed. I'll give it a try later this week.
nlrb

Post by nlrb »

I tried out the new responses of 4.0a9 and there is one response I don't understand.

When sending the command 'GW=1' the response is 'GW: G'. This is not consistent. One is also not allowed to send the command 'GW=G' (result: BV). Can this response be changed to return 'GW: 0' or 'GW: 1'?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I just reused the code from the PR=M command. But you are right, it's not very consistent. Fixed in firmware 4.0a10.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”