This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

otje
Starting Member
Starting Member

OpenTherm Gateway LAN/WIFI model

Post by otje »

Hi All

I have purchased the opentherm gateway and this seems to work ok. When I connect it directly to my pc, using the USB hub, then I see the communication using the OTMonitor. I can also send commands.

But now I want to use the LAN/WIFI Tplink module that came with this shipment.

I connected the USB cable from the opentherm gateway to the USB hub that came with the shipment, and the cable from the USB hub goes to the TPlink USB connection.

Then opening the port 192.168.2.20:1001 in OT monitor does not give me a connection.
the following is retreived from the TP link logs.... Anyone can help me?
i will also try with another USB hub to make sure

Code: Select all

10.040000] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[   10.110000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[   10.280000] hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
[   10.280000] hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
[   10.570000] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[   10.680000] hub 1-1.4:1.0: USB hub found
[   10.680000] hub 1-1.4:1.0: 4 ports detected
[   10.970000] usb 1-1.4.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform
[   13.150000] device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
[   13.590000] eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
[   13.590000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
[   13.600000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
[   15.600000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
this looks like it recognises the USB hub correctly, but then:

Oct 26 00:07:37 Opentherm-gateway daemon.err ser2net[1033]: Could not open device /dev/ttyUSB0 for port 1001: No such file or directory

it looks like TPlink can not open the USB port to the gateway?
arjanf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: OpenTherm Gateway LAN/WIFI model

Post by arjanf »

Hi,

I had the same problem. I used a telnet client to login on the TP-Link. The userid and password to be used are identical to the ones you use to access the web interface. I found that in the /etc/resolv.conf file 127.0.0.1 (localhost) was specified as DNS server. I changed this IP address to the IP address of my DNS (forwarder) host in my network which is my router. Then I did run the following commands (as mentioned in the startup tab)
opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-serial-pl2303 -–force-depends
opkg install ser2net
The echo command was not needed as the /etc/ser2net.conf contained the specified text. After the reboot I could use IPaddress:1001 in OTMonitor.

FYI, after the reboot the original /etc/resolv.conf file there again.
arjanf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by arjanf »

I had the same problem.

The TP-Link could not connect to the internet because the DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf was local host. Therefore it seems it could not download packages as mentioned in the startup script.

My workaround (solution?):
1. login on the TP-Link via a telnet client (like putty with same UserID/Password as for the web interface)
2. changed 127.0.0.1 in the /etc/resolv.conf by the IP address of the router in my network (which forwards DNS requests to the internet)
3. Run the commands as mentioned in the startup;
opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-serial-pl2303 -–force-depends
opkg install ser2net
The echo command was not needed because /etc/ser2net.conf contained the line specified.
4. Reboot

I suppose there is setting in the configuration web interface of the TP-Link but I did not find it.
otje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by otje »

Thanks Arjan

I will try this when i am back at home, right now i am abroad for 2 days.
i am not sure if i have sufficient linux knowledge to get this done, but i will give it a try :P
otje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by otje »

Hello Arjan

i followed the instructions and indeed it works now! Thanks for that :)

However, after some 10 seconds the connection drops ( i see OT monitor color changes to RED)
This happens everytime....

Any idea what this could be?
otje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by otje »

The problem seems fixed now. I upgraded the firmware to the latest rev, not sure if this solved it, it was probably the power off / power on that solved the issue

It is stable now. Thank you very much for the support, really appreciated!
huib
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by huib »

@otje
i seems to have the same problem
can you explain what you did?

i loose connection in one / two minutes and a reboot of the wifi datapter set it running again for a minute or so

pls advice
huib
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by huib »

Since a while i am trying to get the wifi module with the opentherm gateway working.
I seems to lose the connection after about 10 seconds

Does somebody have it in running condition.

Pls advice

Huib
pwhooftman
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pwhooftman »

I also experienced the wifi connection dropping after some time, ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes. I switched to a cabled connecting to make things stable, but afterwards i did notice that setting an static IP address on the TP-Link like the OTGW LAN instructions tell you made things worse.
So, first try using the TP-Link with a dynamically assigned IP address. Look up the given IP address in your DHCP server (you can determine wihich one it is by looking at the mac address, the mac address of the TPLINK is written on the bottom) and reserve that IP address in the DHCP table to be handed out to the TPLink only.
yjb

Post by yjb »

Hi,

I've acquired my own TP-Link WR703N, so you config might be a bit different (assuming you bought directly from http://www.opentherm-gateway.com).

What I've noticed is that:
- The TP-Link will require a real USB 2.0 hub to connect to the USB-TTL adapter, since it doesn't really support USB 1.1 devices
- The unit is more sensitive when using WIFI as opposed to a wired LAN connection; I can run the LAN for hours, even without a HUB, while WIFI will fail after 5 - 30 minutes
- You might want to look at the TTL cable that comes out of the gateway, these are really TTL level signals and might pick up interference from other components. ROute that cable carefully and keep it short.
- I'm not sure how ser2net was configured on your unit, this is what mine looks like:

Code: Select all

grep 1001 /etc/ser2net.conf
1001:telnet:10:/dev/ttyUSB0:9600 NONE 1STOPBIT 8DATABITS XONXOFF -RTSCTS
I don't think that one needs all the handshake stuff, but this was the result of experimenting. Initially I was using a timeout of "0" (3rd field), but that was causing problems if I had to reconnect as ser2net was not closing the TCP/IP connection when otmonitor lost the connection..

I'm thinking about using the console port in the WR703N (and bypassing the USB port completely), but that will require some more work.

The other thing that I noticed was that otmonitor is not attempting to reestablish the connection once it finds out that the connection has been lost. Would be nice if Schelte can add some "automatic reconnect upon loss of connection" feature in otmonitor. In other words: if we do not receive any data from the gateway over the network.

1) close the -stale- connection
2) Wait a minute
3) reconnect to the gateway

Ysbrand
andre_OT
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by andre_OT »

yjb wrote: - The unit is more sensitive when using WIFI as opposed to a wired LAN connection; I can run the LAN for hours, even without a HUB, while WIFI will fail after 5 - 30 minutes
This could be true!
A little year ago, I have build the OTG and was using de TP-Link 703N to connect it to the LAN.
I have spend a lot of time to connect trough Wifi but it would not connect.
Thats why I connected it trough Lan.

I don't use the Usb hub.
It connects and it keeps the connection for months.
So I do'nt have any trouble with losing the Usb connection.
otje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by otje »

huib wrote:Since a while i am trying to get the wifi module with the opentherm gateway working.
I seems to lose the connection after about 10 seconds

Does somebody have it in running condition.

Pls advice

Huib
Hi Huib

Sorry i could not reply earlier, i was not looking at this post since it was working for me... :oops:
the only thing i did was just download the latest firmware and reboot.it is still very stable
once in a while it looses connection (maybe twice a month) but it recovers quickly.
i am not sure why it is so stable. i am not using WIFI though, i have it connected via LAN cable.

hope this helps
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I think wifi is the issue. Some wifi access-point or modems are just more stable then other. When using your laptop you would not notice this but for a 24h a day units it could be an issue.
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
huib
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by huib »

With a lot of help of the openwrt forum i was able to get it up and running. It is now running for a numbr of days with out any hick ups

Any how thanks
Huib

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P3110 met Tapatalk
Last edited by huib on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
yjb

Post by yjb »

Might be an idea to share the changes that you've made as this could help other members here on the forum.

Ysbrand

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”