This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Chriskras
Starting Member
Starting Member

How connect LED's and RESET

Post by Chriskras »

I have some questions:
- How should the indicators (LEDs) are connected to the LED pin? What resistor do I need and where VCC (ground) I can connect him best.
- How the RESET must be connected?
- What the GPIO can be used?

Of course, all just looked on the site and forum but did not come out. Hence this question.
hvxl

Re: How connect LED's and RESET

Post by hvxl »

How to connect the LEDs is described in this topic.

For a reset button you just need to connect a momentary switch (i.e. a switch that is only ON as long as you press it) between the two pins marked "RST".
Schelte
vasco_nl
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by vasco_nl »

And what about the gpio. I cannot find any usefull information about that on the website.
Disneyland, een mensenval bediend door een muis!
Chriskras
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Chriskras »

Gpio pin is only for outside temperate sensor? Wich type can i connect?
For leds, I've already read it. Now all I have how do I connecten him? Connect one side of the LED? And the other with a resistor to ground? What resistor should I use? How do I connect the LED? Is there a diagram of how this will work in them? Reset pin can I do with a jumper? Jumper connect a reset?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

vasco_nl wrote:And what about the gpio. I cannot find any usefull information about that on the website.
I'm sorry that you don't find the provided information useful.
Schelte
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Chriskras wrote:Gpio pin is only for outside temperate sensor? Wich type can i connect?
For leds, I've already read it. Now all I have how do I connecten him? Connect one side of the LED? And the other with a resistor to ground? What resistor should I use? How do I connect the LED? Is there a diagram of how this will work in them? Reset pin can I do with a jumper? Jumper connect a reset?
The GPIO pins are not only for outside temperature sensor. As mentioned on the website, with firmware 4.0b3 there are several functions to choose from:
  • Ground - A permanently low output (0V). Could be used for a power LED.
  • Vcc - A permanently high output (5V). Can be used as a short-proof power supply for some external circuitry used by the other GPIO port.
  • LED E - An additional LED if you want to present more than 4 LED functions.
  • LED F - An additional LED if you want to present more than 5 LED functions.
  • Setback, low active - Set thermostat to setback temperature when pulled low.
  • Setback, high active - Set thermostat to setback temperature when pulled high.
  • DS1820 (GPIO port B only) - Data line for a DS18S20 or DS18B20 temperature sensor used to measure the outside temperature. A 4k7 resistor should be connected between GPIO port B and Vcc.
As mentioned in that list, you can connect a DS18S20 or DS18B20.

You connect the cathode of the LED to one of the LED pins of the gateway and the anode via a resistor to Vcc (not to ground). Vcc is available at the pin marked 1 on the header. You may also put the LED and the resistor in reverse order.

As mentioned on the site, use a resistor between 180 Ohm and 1 kOhm. Pick whatever value gives you the desired brightness for the type of LED you use. In the topic I referred you to earlier I have indicated the values I use.

I suggest you connect the LEDs with half of Conrad orderno 743135-89.

If you briefly put a jumper on the reset pins, that will indeed reset the gateway.
Schelte
Chriskras
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Chriskras »

I just made a schematic. Is it true if I connect them?

Bigger pic:
http://oi60.tinypic.com/jagufo.jpg
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

No, that's not correct. You need to connect the LEDs the other way around. And the resistors for all LEDs must be connected to Vcc, including those for LEDs 5 and 6. With 180 Ohm resistors the LEDs will be very bright.
Schelte
Chriskras
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Chriskras »

What do you mean? Can you make a schematic for my?
It's just easier to understand for me
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

So nobody is able to make a picture based on the provided description and it's down to me again?

It really isn't that complicated:
Schelte
gizmocuz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by gizmocuz »

hvxl wrote:So nobody is able to make a picture based on the provided description and it's down to me again?

It really isn't that complicated
Not for a genius like you!

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”