Problem with gateway - boilers starts heating without reason

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

milux
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Problem with gateway - boilers starts heating without reason

Post by milux »

I received the rs232 chip and used a USB-to-rs232 converter as mentioned earlier. That solved my issue, and now the gateway works without issues.
Of course, I'm willing to test you solution. I will get the soldering iron again :D and come back with the results.

Sidenote: thanks to http://www.opentherm-gateway.com/ for sending the needed components for the rs232 conversion as a service.
milux
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by milux »

I tried to upload the new firmware, but I'm not able to do that anymore. I tried more than 20 times, but the firmware upload stops randomly between 10 en 80%.
Tried both ways: (1) using the rs232 chip with usb-to-rs232 adapter and (2) using the USB-TTL level converter (which previously worked well). I never tried to send any commands when using the new rs232 setup. It seems like the RX line is picking up to much noise at the moment.

I will try again tomorrow, but maybe I have to desolder the rs232 header and restore the previous setup to be able to upload firmware again. :(
I'm really wondering what can be different in my setup? Seems like an environment-related issue?
milux
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by milux »

I can confirm the quick flashing leds are solved in the fw version 4.0b5.

Furthermore, I noticed that the room setpoint was wrong (it was 15 degrees before, but it now shows 14.65). I vaguely remember that it was correct for 4.0b4.
Therefore I tried to upload the old firmware (4.0b4) but I am not able to do that anymore. The firmware upload just doesn't start. The otmonitor gives: "Please manually reset the Opentherm gateway". Manually sending serial commands to the uC works fine.

Any thoughts?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Can you show some logs of the wrong setpoint? The gateway simply reports the received opentherm messages. So either the thermostat actually indicates the setpoint is 14.65, or otmonitor translates it incorrectly. Nothing was changed anywhere near the part of the gateway firmware that collects the message or the part that reports them.

I suspect I know what's going wrong with the reset: When the gateway is connected to a serial port of the computer, otmonitor is sending quite a long break and ignores any data it receives in the mean time. The new firmware doesn't wait for the break to finish before resetting anymore. So the gateway sends its attention character while otmonitor is not listening. I think I will fix this in otmonitor.
Schelte
milux
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by milux »

Unfortunately, I cannot show you any logs anymore because the problem is gone :|. If it happens again, I will try to capture the raw data to be able to do further analysis.
I can test the new version of otmonitor if necessary.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

milux wrote:I can test the new version of otmonitor if necessary.
That's not really necessary. I was able to reproduce the issue, so I could also confirm that the fix I had in mind worked. Thanks anyway for the offer.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”