Samsung Unveils High-tech Robot Vacuum Cleaner

Forum to Introduce Home Automation Domotica related hardware here.....
Peterpc

Post by Peterpc »

The home will never be the same again. Renowned for its innovation, Samsung Electronics has unveiled a trailblazing product that may transform the domestic environment forever the Samsung VC-RP30W vacuum cleaner.

The ultra high-tech robot vacuum cleaner VC-RP30W has been revealed at the DigitAll Inspiration 2003 product showcase.

The Samsung cleaner draws a 3-D map of the environment to identify its relative location, enabling faster and more efficient cleaning of a defined area. A less advanced automated vacuum cleaner navigates randomly until it faces an obstacle, blindingly crawling the area. The smarter Samsung cleaner knows which area needs to be cleaned, with a much more accurate result. A user can also program in the working time and cleaning options in advance, so that the robot cleans the area automatically when the user is away.
The VC-RP30W can be remotely controlled using a computer with an Internet connection too. When controlled over the web, a user can monitor its working environment with the cleaners built-in camera.

The built-in rechargeable battery provides sufficient power to operate the cleaner for 50 minutes. When the power is about to be drained, the cleaner automatically docks itself to the charger.

It is also intelligent enough to clean a multi-room house, negotiate door thresholds and other low-height obstacles. Finally, to correspond to environment friendliness trend, VC-RP30W releases Negative ion to purify the air as it operates.

This is News from 2003. Has anyone any updates about Samsung robot vacuum cleaners, or is the Roomba the best choice?
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Nice the camera, but i have roomba working everyday and it's solid rock! any experience with samsung
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

The Samsung website doesn't mention anything about this product. Ever went to production?

Alexander
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I've done some research on Roomba alternatives this weekend. This one never shipped as far as I know. It was "replaced" by the VC-RE70V, which has a younger and faster brother in the form of the VC-RE72V. Both of them are available for us European guys on eBay and some Italian webshops. Prices are about the same as for Roomba, but they are more stylish and more effective. Also you don't need virtual walls.

The only thing missing is the computer controls, camera and 3D mapping is now 2D.

I'm now trying to get a discount with one of the Ebay shippers, and might order somewhere this week.
Peterpc

Re: Samsung Unveils High-tech Robot Vacuum Cleaner

Post by Peterpc »

Samsung robot vacuum cleaner is available now, but what is the difference between:
SR8855
VCR8855
VCR8855L3B?
Peter
http://www.pcgsm.nl/
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

The SR8845/SR8855 still requires virtual fences: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/09/sams ... -hands-on/

Discussion and movies: http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewto ... &start=180 even an italian webshop which sells those under EUR 400
one of these Samsung bots are good around table legs. Samsungs vacuum robots think too much in straight lines. They do a fairly good job, but they won't go around the legs, like a Roomba or a Roboking.
Alexander
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I'll soon have two SR9630's for sale. As far as the reviews go, it seems not much has changed in the software. Not so good with legs as quoted, and I have trouble with my extra high ceiling (not horizontal, and almost 5 meters high). I also noticed having a large room to clean with these bots shows their problems. Vacuum bots are for rooms < 65m2. In my situation I wasn't impressed with Samsungs method over Roomba's method.

Eventually I even changed back to a large 60cm swiffer and a small scrubbing machine (wet scrub and suck). Takes me about 30 minutes to clean and scrub the whole house (280m2). So I'm not going to wait for a Samsung or Roomba to wander around for several hours.
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Differences in Samsung generations and versions: http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewto ... 924#p76924
Alexander
Peterpc

Post by Peterpc »

Peterpc wrote:Samsung robot vacuum cleaner is available now, but what is the difference between:
SR8855
VCR8855
VCR8855L3B?
Anyone advice/experience where to buy the SR8855 for the best price?
Peter
http://www.pcgsm.nl/
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

VCR8855 is sold this week at Makro for 355,- euro incl 19% VAT.
Alexander

Return to “Announcements & News Forum”