Embedded 7 inch touchscreen wall build

Forum to Introduce Home Automation Domotica related hardware here.....
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

last year i did some testing with this product..
http://nl.enlightcorp.com/Product/Produ ... aspx?ID=27
also no touch screen

MindBender: do you have more information?
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chak</i>
<br />MindBender: do you have more information?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Sure. What would you like to know?

The brand and type are Eizo eClient 630L-N. You could also get a 630L and upgrade it to a 630L-N using my instructions in my other post. This is the guy who sells them at 55 Euro a piece is: http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php?url ... 630ln.html
You will probably need to spray paint them or do some polishing because some of them are marked with etching ink. But they look great in black...
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

How do they handle web pages? Last time I tried a CE machine with a 1024x768, it wasn't very fast.
(But at least it had a touchscreen :)
Is it possible to install Linux and get Firefox running on these thin clients? Would it work acceptably?
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Ok, something else.. might be pretty dumb but.. for what purpose are you using non-touchscreens windows ce's? You wanted a control device + keyboard in every room? Since having a keyboard attached to it does require a lot of space regardless of where you place it. And without a keyboard, you cant simple hang it up somewhere since you want to interact with it no?

p.s. a 11 inch touchscreen 3m for 100 euro's (just check though)
or an older eizo model.. touchscreen:
http://www.marktplaats.nl
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Archos 605 30GB WIFI Multimedia Player +/- 300 euro
http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5/ar ... al&lang=en
With the build in webbrowser you can also use as wall display.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/03/more ... xt-tablet/

Dont know about you, but this looks fingerlicking nice..
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/03/more ... xt-tablet/
Dont know about you, but this looks fingerlicking nice..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">At least until we look at the price... :)
Considering all the other tablets out there, I don't think this one will be any cheaper. (unfortunately)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

no but this one just looks good, since normal tablet pc's can also work as a normal pc with a keyboard, where you have to twist the screen. This does not look like that, well at least not yet.
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

Compaq had a nice one without keyboard as well a couple of years ago. It also looked very good.
It looked lile this one (although it was an older model) , and had a snap on ultra slim keyboard... I was almost tempted to buy it.
http://images.ciao.com/iuk/images/produ ... 800527.jpg
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by niknik</i>
<br />How do they handle web pages? Last time I tried a CE machine with a 1024x768, it wasn't very fast.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Pretty slow actually. I have hooked one up (yeah, should have done that before I bought the other 3) and I'm a bit disappointed by the built-in Internet Explorer 5 browser: A HomeSeer stats page takes about 3 seconds to render.
But if you use it as a RDP client to your server it's a whole different story. The rendering is quite and even the webpages of my camera's show quite a fluent image, where the built-in Internet Explorere does support Java, but can only control the camera without showing any image.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Is it possible to install Linux and get Firefox running on these thin clients? Would it work acceptably?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yes and may be. My collegue got one too and he will try to get NetBSD to work on it. The chipset is supported and a tool to create the proprietary nk.bin files is available, but it's all Open Source. That's a good think, but it also means that there's very little documentations and the tool probably wasn't developed any further as soon as it did what the developer needed it to do.
FireFox needs KDE which is quite a resource hog, but I think it should work. But for now I'd settle for a working Kernel ;-)
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />Ok, something else.. might be pretty dumb but.. for what purpose are you using non-touchscreens windows ce's? You wanted a control device + keyboard in every room?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I know about the problem, but I haven't really nailed that one down yet. I was thinking on building in an after market touch screen; The mainboard does support that. Or I was considering putting a wireless mouse underneath it. Not as pretty, but there's no way I'm going to pay more than 300 Euro for a terminal that only needs to show a web pages.<br /><br />
Oh, and by the way; I don't know about you guys, but 7" is <i>way</i> too small for a decent control terminal. It will look flimsy, where posh was intended. You might a well nail an iPaq to the wall. You need at least 8", preferably 10".<br />
I wonder why a digital photo frame can be sold for way under 100 Euro while a separate screen costs way over 100 Euro...
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
Oh, and by the way; I don't know about you guys, but 7" is <i>way</i> too small for a decent control terminal.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It depends... for instance, the Nokia N770 is 800x480, and can easily handle a nice and detailed interface.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> It will look flimsy, where posh was intended. You might a well nail an iPaq to the wall. You need at least 8", preferably 10".<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think there are applications for every size... :)
A 7"/8" would be good for a "remote"... 12" and bigger for a real "wall controller".

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I wonder why a digital photo frame can be sold for way under 100 Euro while a separate screen costs way over 100 Euro...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
It's all on the "embedded" electronics cost. Today, you can get a single chip that can read photos/video from a memory card and send it to a screen for a few euros. Having a browser is a whole different story.
TEN
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by TEN »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>The brand and type are Eizo eClient 630L-N. You could also get a 630L and upgrade it to a 630L-N using my instructions in my other post.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Maybe you could help me with a problem getting WiFi/WLAN to work on one of these (the instructions in the eClient 630L User's Manual
from page 29 onwards refer to an earlier version of the firmware with an additional PPP tab in the F2 dialog, while the scarce documentation for the -N models makes no mention of these details):

A Lucent/Orinoco card with an external antenna does see my wireless Access Point; I could also set DHCP to use this adapter as "WLAGS461".
However, the Access Point sees no traffic (DHCP requests, let alone http packets) coming from the eClient.

The reason seems to be explained by "Network and Dial-up Connections" (which do show both adapters) saying in their "Advanced Adapter Settings": "Connections are listed in the order in which they are accessed by network services." and then listing nothing but "Built-in LAN (20)".

Without a route through WLAGS461, the symptoms are not surprising - so how do I get this connection to show up in that "Advanced" list?
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Well, i am a happy bugger with hstouch running on a mio520 gps and a sdio wifi adapter but dhcp was not working for me. tried a hard ip and i was up and running on the win ce 5.0 platform
TEN
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by TEN »

Thanks for the hint on specifying a fixed IP once for the wireless card; that does the trick of making the adapter show up in the "Advanced" list of connections. :)
However, I have still no luck getting actual IP traffic to reach my Access Point, while the wireless connection layer itself seems to have been established all this time.

Return to “Announcements & News Forum”