Asus EEE laptop

Forum to Introduce Home Automation Domotica related hardware here.....
Niknik

Asus EEE laptop

Post by Niknik »

I'm looking into those HP Mini... but as always there's always "something" missing to be just perfect. In this case, it's the VIA CPU.

There are rumours they'll be changing to a more modern CPU (either a more efficient VIA - more likely- , or the Atom from Intel - which is less likey, but it would make it *perfect*) within the next 6 months - I guess I'll wait some more months.

But other than that, it looks great - and if we got it here at the same price they have in the US, it would be a great deal! :)
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Asus EEE laptop

Post by MindBender »

I have seen the new EEE PC 900 (http://eeepc.asus.com/global/900.htm), the one with the bigger screen, available on the market here in Taipei.
I was a bit surprise because I was told it would be introduced halfway june, but the guy in the shop said he has them on stock. The price is 15,700 TWD, which translates down to about 325 Euro.

I didn't check the keyboard. A Taiwanese keyboard is identical to a US international keyboard, but it has a lot of differently coloured Chineese characters on the keys, making it look rather baroque [;)]

I may go there again tonight, though I don't think I'll buy one becuase I don't really need one.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Asus EEE laptop

Post by Snelvuur »

could be a cheap copy/knockoff.. you never know.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Niknik

Asus EEE laptop

Post by Niknik »

In June/July they should be launching the Eee PC 901, which is supposed to have the Intel Atom, Bluetooth, and possible also a model with 10" LCD.

Meanwhile, I'm also considering the MSI Wind... I'm waiting for one to arrive to test it.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Asus EEE laptop

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />could be a cheap copy/knockoff.. you never know.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yes, probably a cheap copy by HP, Dell or Sony with an Asus label on it [;)]
I didn't have time to check out the keyboard yet; I was busy havins sushi last night. But I will go back this evening.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Asus EEE laptop

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by niknik</i>
<br />In June/July they should be launching the Eee PC 901, which is supposed to have the Intel Atom, Bluetooth, and possible also a model with 10" LCD.

Meanwhile, I'm also considering the MSI Wind... I'm waiting for one to arrive to test it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I assumed the 901 and the 900 were the same thing, and it would be introduced half of June. But you're right: The 900 is already available on the markted and that's the one I saw here. It's not really an interesting device because it only differs with the 700 in its screen size. With the 901 introduction so close, the 900 probably won't show up on the European market. Where prices of the 700 (1GiB RAM, 8GiB HD, WebCam) have trickled down to 250 Euro here, that would be an interesting option for a Domitica server. It could probably even run SIP-X or Asterisk on the side. Though I have decided not to buy one here. Too much hassle with customs and the Chineese charaters on the keyboard are a bit annoying.

Tuesday the Comdex will start here, so Asus will probably introduce the 901 here. I have heard that they stipped of quite a lot of speceifications in order to make the dead-line. One of those would be the Intel Atom platform, so I'm starting to wonder what's left.

I haven't found the SMI Wind here. I did see a nice HB, but it was considerabley bigger.
LittleBit

Asus EEE laptop

Post by LittleBit »

VIA Technologies introduces a new mini laptop, the VIA Openbook, that must compete with the ASUS Eee PC.
The specifications of this tiny laptop are impressive
with builtin HSDPA, GPS and WiMax.
The OpenBook is based on VIA's own 1,6 GHz C7-M processor and the VX800 chipset and has a 8,9-inch scherm (1.024 x 600).
And what is very special:
The model is completely available in open source, even the CAD drawings !
Price will be in the 500 - 800 dollar range (320 - 510 euro)
available from 3Q.
Some extra info
http://www.networkworld.com/News/2008/0 ... gn-as.html
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=562
and even a video at

But as always, the law of LittleBit:
if you wait for the latest model,
you will never be able to use one.

With best domotica regards,
Niknik

Asus EEE laptop

Post by Niknik »

From what I heard/read, the Eee 901 will have the Atom after all, but even though they'll show it at Computex, I've heard it will only be really available for the end of the year.

Meanwhile, they'll also be showing the Eee 1000, with 10" LCD.

(So many options... :)
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Asus EEE laptop

Post by MindBender »

You're right, LittleBit: If you wait for the 'newest version', you'll end up buying nothing at all ;-)

It took the first EEE PC ages to get on the market after introduction too, so I suppose waiting for the 901 doesn't make much sense. Tomorrow I'll fly back to The Netherlands. Too bad, with Computex starting next Tuesday, but I'll be happy to be home too.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Asus EEE laptop

Post by Snelvuur »

Return to “Announcements & News Forum”