CES 2011 in Las Vegas

Forum to Introduce Home Automation Domotica related hardware here.....
Post-IT

CES 2011 in Las Vegas

Post by Post-IT »

Is anyone going to the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas?

Rumors are it's going to be tablet-PC mayhem over there.
Post-IT

Re: CES 2011 in Las Vegas

Post by Post-IT »

The CES was flooded with Android and Windows tablets... literally hundreds!

So for those looking to buy these for your home automation setup, you will have a lot of choices in the near future. Although not many have the same build quality as the iPad, they will be enough performance wise. Some would even have sufficient resource to run your whole system on.

Other main things where 3D screens and iPhone/iPad accessories.

On the home automation subject many things were projected towards US customers.
- Energy consumption was pretty big and new for them, so there were a few Plugwise like product introductions for the US market (Plugwise missed the boat on this one I think).
- Zigbee was also on the show to present possibilities with their Zigbee things, although still not many companies presenting complete and useable Zigbee products which keeps it a hobbyist/development level at this time.
- Z-wave is the big player in the US at this time, many suppliers are adopting this technology to present home automation products
- Still not many multifunction sensors. I would have thought home automation would be more automated by now, more sensors (Temp/Humid/Lux/movement/consumption) and intelligence products to automatically operate your home. Mostly new products are aimed at operating electronically, remotely and central rather then automatically.

One more thing I noticed is the wide range of HDMI products presented on the show. For example it is now possible to transfer Full HD over a single ethernet cable, which needed two cables before. This will give us interesting options to distribute HD signals throughout the house.

Return to “Announcements & News Forum”