ipv6/ipv4 light bulbs?

Forum to Introduce Home Automation Domotica related hardware here.....
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

ipv6/ipv4 light bulbs?

Post by Snelvuur »

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/17/gree ... humbs-nos/

Despite the looming IPv4 apocalypse, a new lighting system coming out of NXP Semiconductors promises an "IP address for every light bulb." The GreenChip "smart lighting solution" incorporates NXP chipsets into both LED and compact flourescents to enable dimming, extended lifespans, quick start times, and IP connectivity -- via IPv4 or IPv6. Proprietary network software allows users to control their bulbs from smartphones, PCs, and other devices, enabling them to fiddle with mood lighting -- including adjusting color -- via a specific IP address. So at least when IPv4 doomsday finally descends someone will have their lighting just right. Video and PR after the break.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Henk_J

Every Light bulb an IP address ??

Post by Henk_J »

mishoboss

Re: ipv6/ipv4 light bulbs?

Post by mishoboss »

So at least when IPv4 doomsday finally descends someone will have their lighting just right.
As these devices are meant to be used inside a private network, IPv4 doomsday will never arrive for them. However I'm a fan of 6loWPAN and IPv6 addressing at all, as it provides some "native" routing logic and this is very important for small battery devices.

I truly believe in the future of "Smart Objects" or "Internet of Things" or whatever you call it. However I believe in the open standardization, not in the proprietary protocols and software, like these guys. Users have to choose from different hardware manufacturers and different HA software for different platforms (Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android, Windows Phone, etc.). There have to be a consortium like KNX and ZingBee, but more open to the small business and hobbyist.

There are working groups that already have published some protocol specifications and recommendations (6loWPAN family protocols). There are projects like Contiki and TinyOS that already have implemented these protocols. So, I believe sooner or later, these companies like NXP will see the truth and turn to the open standards.

By the way, check Android@Home, a very similar Google's project.
Henk_J

Re: ipv6/ipv4 light bulbs?

Post by Henk_J »

I agree with you that we should stick onto standards but the problem is that there is no standard for HA. This system is based on IEEE802.15.4 so you can choose to program your application based on this standard. Besides this you can use the Jennet-IP stack or the zigbee-pro stack. Since we all use at least one standard called IP I think it would be great to manage a network like this with simple SNMP get and set commands.

Return to “Announcements & News Forum”