Nuon E-manager / Greenwave products ?

Forum to Introduce Home Automation Domotica related hardware here.....
rovinge

Nuon E-manager / Greenwave products ?

Post by rovinge »

Anyone familiar with these products?

Nuon (NL power company) is offering this product, which I could relate to Greenwave Energy Gateway.

Nuon: nuon.nl/energie-besparen/e-manager/appa ... n-apps.jsp
Greenwave: http://www.greenwavereality.com/solutions/energymgmt/

Now, what really triggered my attention is the description of the gateway on the Greenwave site:
"At the heart of the GreenWave Reality solution is the concurrent radio Gateway that supports Z-Wave®, ZigBee® and 6LoWPAN to create a mesh-based Home Area Network (HAN). The HAN supports smart PowerNodes™, connected lighting, and in-home displays making homes smart, energy conscious, and controllable"

I don't like the idea you need a webserver with Nuon to collect and read your consumed energy. So how useable will be that product from Nuon? Can we use it in our own environments, e.g. Homeseer, own Z-wave mesh network?

I will be looking for more information (integration HomeSeer, product brochures, manuals, etc), so if anyone has more information about this, than that will be much appreciated.

Roel
Henk

Re: Nuon E-manager / Greenwave products ?

Post by Henk »

Each energy provider is presenting an energy management solution to their customers it is part of their image and public relationship. Those Energy companies will buy a product from a company specialized in this kind of monitoring tools. There are several solutions on the Dutch market - one system will be integrated with the room thermostat or a system with its own energy display. (Wattcher, Enymate,Plugwise,Quby)
Energy provider have no interest to provide open interface - because the number of users is so small (a couple of hundreds) and it will generate questions and may be support issues.
Energy management system for the installed energy meters is a temporary solution and even may not work (no reflection of the gasmeter, or poor reflection of the disc of the e-meter)
In the near future energy meters will be replaced by smart meters (P1) and yes you can interface them and the protocol is open.
So check with your energy network company when they will replace the meters and you may request for an early replacement.

It looks like Nuon is not really interesting to sell it , highly priced and even a monthly charge of using the web server.

Henk
zonique
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Nuon E-manager / Greenwave products ?

Post by zonique »

True, Nuon e-Manager and Eneco Toon appear to be nice enery management products that allow customers to get insight in their consumption. However, as these products are dependent on services running on servers at those companies, I wonder how many people realize these products also come with a great lock-in. Although those energy companies may claim it is part of their (green?) image and public relationship, I can't suppress my suspicion about lock-in intentions.

Return to “Announcements & News Forum”