Voice control with Raspberry Pi

Forum to Introduce Home Automation Domotica related hardware here.....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voice control with Raspberry Pi

Post by Digit »

Open-source voice computing with Raspberry Pi. All you need is a microphone, a speaker and a Pi.
Use your voice to ask for information, update social networks, control your home, and more.
Build it yourself with off-the-shelf hardware, and use our documentation to write your own modules.

123unlock

Re: Voice control with Raspberry Pi

Post by 123unlock »

main problem with voicecontrol is the quality of the voice to your "control device"
i made several tests here.. with webcam microphone, condensor microphone, etc but when your too far from the mic
it's making a lot of false positives.

at the moment i stopped that project, and moved to an different idea
on the Phone i created an application, that will listen when you press a button or shake it

google vr translate it, and send it to my website API

as you have the Phone in hands, the distance is not so far, and the audio is recognised much better

some demo video (it's in dutch, but give you some idea.. how to integrate things)

Xtrusion Digital Home Automation Project
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

The mic is everything...
I tried nearly everything but all was useless execpt using a professional mic special designed for it. It made an enormous difference
Bram
123unlock

Post by 123unlock »

maybe i expected too much :) also tried with an samson UB1 (USB Boundary Microphone) but when i'm more than 1,5 a 2 meters away it wont work as expected anymore..

i saw you also use samson mics in your zmc system, but with XAP800.. whats the maximum distance you can speak ? from the microphone

i also have the feeling something was not correct with the mic config, on raspberry, if i set it to a gain of 0db in alsamixer the sound is way to loud, and only thing left is crackling noise.. so i had to turn it at least to -20db

problem with those mics is there are no much Linux users who use this :)
Xtrusion Digital Home Automation Project
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

123unlock wrote:i saw you also use samson mics in your zmc system, but with XAP800.. whats the maximum distance you can speak ? from the microphone
The XAP800 is also used to supress noise, cancel out the music from the radio and other filters.
I can talk to my system from about 10 meters away or from the next room with the radio on in the room where the mic is.
However i need to say that i got the best results within 4 meters. It takes a lot of fiddling and tweaking with settings and walking around with a very, very long cable with a headphone attached to it to get an optimum result. Despite that the mics are omni directional that have a favor for a few directions. With this you can cancel out noise sources and improve the results.
Fyi, it took me anout 9 months to find the right settings on the mixer and the position for all 4 mics i have in use. This autumn i will add my 5th and last mic. Open air VR isn't a thing you do on the fly.
123unlock wrote: i also have the feeling something was not correct with the mic config, on raspberry, if i set it to a gain of 0db in alsamixer the sound is way to loud, and only thing left is crackling noise.. so i had to turn it at least to -20db
0 db or more is often needed for cheap mics. These boundary mics are way more sensitive so your right that you have to turn the gain down. You don't have to have a load signal but a very clear signal. Read this last sentence again because that is your goal in open air VR.
My mics are at about -10 to -14 db
Bram

Return to “Announcements & News Forum”