openHAB - a new promising domotics software

Forum about OpenHAB open Source Home Automation.

Moderator: raymonvdm

mishoboss

openHAB - a new promising domotics software

Post by mishoboss »

Hi, guys. I just want to give you some light on a new exciting, open source and fast-evolving domotics project called openHAB. It's written in Java (OSGi) and supports the following technologies:
- KNX
- one-wire
- HTTP
- Serial
- Bluetooth
- NTP
- MPD support (Music Player Daemon)
- Google Calendar
- FritzBox
- Text to Speech (platform independent)
- powerful rules engine
- powerful REST interface
- web-based, customizable, mobile interface (and a new much more powerful HTML5 touch UI is planned)

I'm not their PR, I'm just a user who finally found a really good open source and multi-platform project with respect to the new technologies and the new trends in software development.

For more info, jump to http://openhab.org
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: openHAB - a new promising domotics software

Post by RDNZL »

I have played with the code before, it's impresive, the web interface (mobile) is very nice too!
But a small error in a config file make it unstable/crash, ofcourse nothing that can't be fixed.
Hours after I started to play with it I noticed some nice music was coming out of my laptop all of the time, with a german DJ in between...
Took me a while to realise the build-in radio functions actually work in the demo setup, and the audio was coming from openhab ;-)
Regards, Ron.
mlommers
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mlommers »

Heel leuk idee, lijkt ook heel veel op het idee waar ik al een tijd mee bezig ben. multiplatform, OSGi, jetty, java

zeker iets om in de gaten te houden!
mishoboss

Post by mishoboss »

mlommers wrote:Heel leuk idee, lijkt ook heel veel op het idee waar ik al een tijd mee bezig ben. multiplatform, OSGi, jetty, java

zeker iets om in de gaten te houden!
LONG LIVE GOOGLE TRANSLATE: ;)
Very nice idea, looks very much like the idea I'm working on for some time. multiplatform, OSGi, jetty, java

definitely something to keep an eye!
Maybe, if you like, you could join to the openHAB project, instead of making your own from the ground. It would be really nice this project to get some more developers.

@RDNZL - I use openHAB since several weeks to interface my Arduino based five zone thermostat via HTTP REST. I always use the latest SVN versions and even there bugs are really rare. Give it a shot one more time and you'll be impressed :)
dwal9876@yahoo.com
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dwal9876@yahoo.com »

Hi all, I'm using Openhab for a short time now. They have made a lot of progress since the last post here.
Now there is version 1.3 and in february there comes release 1.4.

I appreciate the strong possibilities to configure the system they way I want to use it.
You can use scripts to include logic in the way you want to behave the system.

There are GUI's for android and Iphone.

At this moment I'm using the system on an Ubuntu PC, i'm thinking of porting it to a beagleboard.
If you have experience or want to join let me know!

Return to “OpenHAB Forum”