"Noki: The smart doorlock for Europe"

On this Forum we can discuss interesting Kickstarter like smartthings and gadgets
olof

"Noki: The smart doorlock for Europe"

Post by olof »

another smart door lock, this time specifically for European doors

kickstarter.com/projects/1227497591/nok ... for-europe

My initial observations:
1. Looks nice, decent features and most important an API to be had!
2. Better priced than the Entr (if these prices stay as advertised..)
3. I have a wait-and-see attitude regarding the mechanical performance. I have tried the Danalock and looked at the Okidokeys and Loxx, but they all have poor/weak motors -> motor gets stuck halfway, or can´t turn the key completely, etc. usually because my front door is not free of friction..but hey....that is the case for most front doors in Holland.
vincenttor

Re: "Noki: The smart doorlock for Europe"

Post by vincenttor »

It is a nice solution, but like the topic starter says.
When a door needs a little push or pull because its stuck, you can feel this when you turn the key by hand.
The device seems to me that it only applies force and does not feel that it is jammed/stuck then probably breaks or at least bend the key.
richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

Most of the times burglars simply break a window and turn the key which is still in the lock. The is because people either don't care, think its handy or do it for a quick fire escape. It is advised to not have your key in the doorlock even on the inside. In this case Noky can be as easily removed from the lock as it can be installed so for door which have windows in them (my guess is most of the doors) this system qualifies as not very safe to have and therefore useless.
olof

Post by olof »

richard naninck wrote:Most of the times burglars simply break a window and turn the key which is still in the lock. The is because people either don't care, think its handy or do it for a quick fire escape. It is advised to not have your key in the doorlock even on the inside. In this case Noky can be as easily removed from the lock as it can be installed so for door which have windows in them (my guess is most of the doors) this system qualifies as not very safe to have and therefore useless.
True enough. But then the alternative product Entr should also have this risk. But since this Entr product is made by a big Dutch lock company (Nemef), perhaps they have figured out a way of protecting against such burglary attempts. I have no idea
domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... mp;t=10464
richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

Yep, the Entr even makes it a plus that you can Always open the door from the inside without a key. You cannot do that with the Radaris. So I guess that you can put as many stars on a lock as you want but it won't help a bit if the door opens from the other side. Something that cannot be done with a normal lock without the key present. Not sure how that qualifies as safe..
olof

Post by olof »

Noki now has given more details about their API possibilities. In an answer to somebody´s questions they responded
Creator Noki Home Solutions GmbH about 14 hours ago

@STR:
It's too early yet for a decisive answer as we are going through different options with the bridge. We'll let you know once we have advanced further in the project, but expect it to be no worse than the power consumption of a mini computer like a rasperry pi or wlan router on low cpu usage.
We have no plans to offer time-based deactivations at this stage.

@Markus Krüger:
We'll offer 2 kinds of APIs. An http-API which allows you to send commands out of 3rd party services to your Noki keyturner via the Noki bridge. In this case you still need a Noki bridge.
In the 2nd option we will make the Bluetooth protocol of the Noki keyturner publicly available so that you can directly send commands from any Bluetooth-capable smart home system to the Noki keyturner. In this case there's no need for a bridge as your smart home system will take care of it.
URL: kickstarter.com/projects/1227497591/nok ... e/comments
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

richard naninck wrote:Yep, the Entr even makes it a plus that you can Always open the door from the inside without a key. You cannot do that with the Radaris. So I guess that you can put as many stars on a lock as you want but it won't help a bit if the door opens from the other side. Something that cannot be done with a normal lock without the key present. Not sure how that qualifies as safe..
small remark: Radaris can be opened from the inside without unlocking, its a matter of configuration, most I know choose not to do this
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Most (if not 'no') double cylinder locks do not simultaneously take two keys at the same time: If a key is inserted on one side, a key on the other side cannot be fully inserted.
olof

Post by olof »

MindBender wrote:Most (if not 'no') double cylinder locks do not simultaneously take two keys at the same time: If a key is inserted on one side, a key on the other side cannot be fully inserted.
Hi Mindbender,

It´s true that 95% of standard double cylinders do not allow two keys at the same time. However, they are easily available and in english they are called "Double Entry Cylinder" - Euro profile double entry cylinders offer key access from both sides of the door even if a key is present.

So getting a Noki (I signed up for one) means replacing your cylinder as well. But it can be done! :-)
olof

Post by olof »

However, they are easily available and in english they are called "Double Entry Cylinder" - Euro profile double entry cylinders offer key access from both sides of the door even if a key is present.
For us Dutch this is called 'anti-paniekfunctie' = aan de buitenzijde bedienbaar als de sleutel aan de binnenkant zit.

A typical price for such Euro profile cylinder is around EUR 35,- . For example: profielcilinder.nl/profielcilinders/dub ... nder-skg3/
jeroenc

Post by jeroenc »

Hi [tag]olof[tag],

have you received that nuki already? Do you like it?

Would you mind a quick review? :D

Thanks a lot! Regards, Jeroen

Return to “Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding related smartthings”