plugwise design, but through wifi PlugAway

On this Forum we can discuss interesting Kickstarter like smartthings and gadgets
nawikre

Re: plugwise design, but through wifi

Post by nawikre »

hi guys, here some answers that are already known.

@MarnixT
i is NOT possible to access each plug through a webpage. It is possible to control each plug through the app. We are also strarting with a windows app for guys like us, so that we can integrate it in something like homeseer.

"I'm wondering how the initial 50 will not be used for manufacturing"
I think that you mean is what if the 50000 AUS dollar wil not be reached? Then you wil not be charged with money. This project wil ONLY be funded if the 50000 AUS dollar has been reached.

Shipping costs are an estimate. This means that we are not shure what it will be. The procedures is as follow. I will be the Dutch/German office of these products. It will be shippd all together in a container or something like that. then it wil be shipped at local costs. The shippping as is (the 10 aus dollar) is an estimate and will not be used per single product.

@Digit / Bwired
This design IS/will be small enough to use 2 of these beside eachother. I will recieve the new design chip later this week. The plugdesign has been 'borrowd' from another plug that already excist.

About the API i cannot tell much about that yet, but what i CAN tell is that with the api you will be able to implement own plugins. An example wil be connecting the roowifi or own wifi roomba adapter. Making own door/window sensors with wifichip to connect to the app. and we are even looking at the option to integrate ipcamera option etc.

@Kriz83
about the ledring we are stil not shure and discussing about this...My first intention was to use the ring as indicator for powerusage, but others also find it nice to set it manually. So we are now thinking and looking for the option to use the ring for both and be able to set this option in the app.

About the API, see the point above.

The issue about the cloud is actually easay. This is used for 2 reasons.
1. to make the plugs accessable all over the world without having to change things in the router or something like that.
2. to get a wider range of data storage capacity for the energy measuring. Otherwise there is only the memory of the atmega and will be enough for about 6 months then it is full.

We are looking at an option for advanced people to use it on/with own local server, but that is not determend yet.

and thanks for the compliments....

If there ar more questions, pplease ask, because this way we know what people want and can try to implement it.
greetz,

Iwan
blb

Post by blb »

Nice project! Also interested in this project, but with mandatory cloud storage no-go! I understand it's necessary for the mass market ( should be well encrypted and with excellent terms & conditions), but it must be possible to choose an in-house solution.

BlB
Bernard
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I agree with kriz83 and blb.

When you state that easy integration in home automation systems is a pro, what do you need the cloud for anyway?
HA systems (well, those that take themselves seriously) already have the tools for worldwide access, control, storage etcetera.
IMO, the whole concept should provide all the functionality needed to make HA system integration complete.
Just add a checkbox somewhere, called 'Use cloud' :wink:
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I need to put Likes on the forum :).....no cloud, or possiblity to switch off
kriz83

Post by kriz83 »

Yeah ...
Cloud means no-go for me I'm afraid ...
HomeSeer - PlugWise - RFXComm - Philips Pronto TSU9800/9600/9300
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

Oke...thanks for the feedback....i had a meeting this morning with the engineers.

RGB ring will definatly be used for both options.
1. Set color manually
2. When not set manually it wil be used for energy consumption status.

Cloud on/off option is being discussed as i am typing...
greetz,

Iwan
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

After a firm meeting we have made the decision to put in an option that makes it possible to disable the use of the cloud. So as default it is set to use the cloud and we will be adding the option to NOT use the cloud.

The issue on th rgb ring is indeed as mentioned.
The color can be set manually. As for default settings it will be used for electric usage status.

So far only good News.

Iwan
greetz,

Iwan
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Hi Iwan, that's great News, thanks, you've made the start of this weekend a very good one! :)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I need to start with the like function again :-)
again i will be backer if the cloud option is switchable
very good News sofar!
nawikre

Re: plugwise design, but through wifi PlugAway

Post by nawikre »

The projects will start tommorow. It wil be opened by Kickstarter so please let it know within your social network to give this project the attention it deserves...

Iwan
greetz,

Iwan
richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

A simple message to become a follower of this thread now that the cloud option is sorted :D No cloud just counted me in!
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I hope the kickstarter site will be adjusted before opening, i cant read anything about the cloud?
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

Is being changed as i am typing...thanks for the reminder.
greetz,

Iwan
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I want back 2 x 5plugs, how can i do that without 2x30 shipping?
nawikre

Post by nawikre »

i think it is in the story that shipping costs will be calculated on the end....we will merge all orders per person and give you the real shipping costs....

I will ask John if he can clearify this is the FAQ.
greetz,

Iwan

Return to “Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding related smartthings”