Homey on Kickstarter

On this Forum we can discuss interesting Kickstarter like smartthings and gadgets
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Homey on Kickstarter

Post by labium »

with van Gaal : the economy is "turning"" again, investments are made by the big american companies'

nu.nl/internet/4118426/intel-steekt-50- ... puter.html

jeroen_ wrote:
Digit wrote:Both are (voice) remotes.
... for Home Automation:
http://www.amazon.com/home-automation-s ... 6563140011

and this little 100 million Alexa Fund for Voice control:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... ID=2062558

see also:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-ech ... ot-circus/

The Google OnHub thing does not have a microphone thus no Voice input in this edition, it does have all the right chips for general remote control though.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

jeroen_ wrote:Two things:
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-SK705DI-Echo/dp/B00X4WHP5E

Yep, that does exactly and way more than Homey does, and well, Amazon is a bulti-million company
Why do you think so?
For as far as I've seen the Amazon device does not have the radio's homey has. It's not nearly as open as the Homey will be and it has a completely different focus.
These boxes have similarities but cannot be compared as such.
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Well, homey should arrive today! Got a confirmation from athom and the track and trace is available.

I'll try to post some first experiences this weekend (if my girlfriend doesn't get into labour).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1562 met Tapatalk
groeten,
Harry
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Yup, mine arrived too. Unfortunately I am in Thailand for a month.......

Curious about the first impressions. Looking at their app store it all seems minimal and very main stream.
The emails accompanying are also talking about bugs/beta. Addressing me like I am a domotica noob. Not sure that is the right tone for most early adopters.
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Bricked mine. While doing nothing. Auto update kicked in and rebooted. After that red ring and nothing else. Will get in contact with athom tomorrow. So for now no videos or pictures from me guys.
groeten,
Harry
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

The red ring of death issue was solved easy. Played a little with Homey. It works ok, but its going to take a while for Homey to be a grownup solution. Im sure athom will keep working on homey and the product will mature.

I have decided to sell my homey. I don't have time to invest in a buggy environment now.Hs3 supports way more and feels more stable. Homey adds no extra value for me now. So I don't feel like migrating my working stable system to homey.

I hope homey will create a nice platform. I really liked the idea and the guys during kickstarter.
groeten,
Harry
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

homey learned me the meaning of the word prototype, it is still promising i think.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Right! and Homey already is advertising in the Dutch Mediamarket shops, so mass market stuff :D
Homey, alles in huis verbonden
Homey, alles in huis verbonden
homey.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

Yes, i saw that. And i feel they are not ready for that. Just to much things do not work out of the box. Eventhough its targeted for the mass market, I don't think homey is ready for that. I hope the don't push out to soon.

Doesn't mean I don't have trust. Homey is promising. Its just not ready
groeten,
Harry
vincenttor

Post by vincenttor »

Many new accounts / members here only for the homey, if i see it being sold this fast i get a feeling that it is far from done.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

This will give home automation a bad name for sure.
Homey uses a external cloud based source to do it's speech recognition. That service it the heart of their device. If that service disappear then they need to find a different and equal one, adjusting their software, roll out a firmware and keep all their fingers crossed that they aren't using for typing the reply's for upset customers
Bram
freakstar

Post by freakstar »

They are now splatting all the bugs with this first batch, when that is done they will continue sending the next batch.

(https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comm ... mment_9526)

I think they have big potential. Did some testing with the flow editor and it works very autonomous. Sure there are a lot of issues, but when they take the time to solve them (and get enough feedback of the current users) I think this is a promising product for home automation.
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

Hmm, seems people really are not happy with the too prototypy status of Homey:

http://blog.hekkers.net/2016/03/06/ok-h ... ure-fired/

Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I sold my Homey, but I follow them a bit. They continue development, so the blogpost you mention might not be 100% accurate anymore. Around that time I sold my Homey. I hope they have the resources to improve Homey. Might buy one again when they are further and better at voice recognition.
groeten,
Harry
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

Phaeton wrote:I hope they have the resources to improve Homey
From the numbers in the kickstarter, they have barely enough resources to make the thing they want to make and then keep their heads above water. I don't see them doing any kind of proper research themselves (large companies already have enough issues funding that as it is).
Might buy one again when they are further and better at voice recognition.
As they settled on using an external online service for voice recognition on day one, and do not have any expertise whatsoever, let alone remotely close to that of the people building the Google Voice API, I would really not hold my breath for that....

I personally see Voice control as 'problematic', simply as recognizing accents/dialects in many languages will be extremely tricky. It will be 'solved' one day, but not in the short term, and also not in a way that you and I can use it in our own local setup; such a 'solution' will always remain "cloud based" simply because of the amount of money that can be earned by mining that kind of data unfortunately.

Having a cheap tablet in each room is a much easier way to do proper control, and is also wife-approved ;)

Return to “Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding related smartthings”