Homey on Kickstarter

On this Forum we can discuss interesting Kickstarter like smartthings and gadgets
spierie

Homey on Kickstarter

Post by spierie »

Interesting stuff, and completely open!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/at ... -your-home
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Homey

Post by Phaeton »

I Might not be able to fully use it. i'm no prgrammer. But I like the idea. hopefully Homeseer will be able to connect to this Homey. Since it's dutch I descided to buy one! Good Luck guys!
groeten,
Harry
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

indeed surprisingly interesting but i miss rfxcom as a medium to connect various devices. Are these guys known on this forum ? any credentials ? maybe an alternative for homeseer or other domotica systems.
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

i must say nearly every week there is a new homeautomation system announced which can be controlled with android and apple platforms but the number of new devices which should be controlled isnt growing that fast. Even led lights, the most are still not controllable or via infra red which is old fashioned like the parallel port. Why isnt it intersting to manufature peripheral devices for domotica.

Even the old fashoined car manufacturers use more domotica then phillips. My senseo is still not controllable . only lg has a tv with serial port. upc hasnt an api for there receiver.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

i backed them up and took a geek version :)
this looks very nice, hopefully they can realize this!
http://www.bwired.nl Online Home, Domotica, Home Automation. Weblog. http://blog.bwired.nl
labium
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by labium »

i also couldnt resist a geek version , i hope they dont will be absorbed by google or apple.
freakstar

Post by freakstar »

Same here, also the geek version. I hope they can make it, pledged some more Kickstarter projects and even if they reach their goals it sometimes gets quite hard to really realize the project.

Looks promising!
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

And another one, also geek version :)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

and reached :)
Wow. This is awesome.

After just over 37 hours live we have reached our goal of 100 thousand euros. We want to truly thank our 500 current backers, and although we were hoping, we didn't expect it to really rise this quick. We already have some cool ideas for stretch goals which we are now working out, so stay tuned for even more awesomeness.

Thank you all very much for your support. We are totally psyched to fulfill your rewards!
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Geek version backed. :-)

Seems that one is not in The first batch. Anyone opted for the more expensive options?
mrqnapper

Post by mrqnapper »

And one more Geek version pledged :)
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I also have the geek one

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
groeten,
Harry
Irritanterik

Post by Irritanterik »

Homey Geek here!
HP t5630w with Homeseer 2 > Will migrate to Homey | RFXLAN | IRTrans | Opentherm Gateway | ITHO ECO-FAN integration | Harrison Curtain | Z-wave
jeroen_

Post by jeroen_ »

So the Homey is a Raspberry Pi with a couple of standard wifi/zigbee/etc modules added on, along with Google's speech recognition (indeed, your voice ends up at google so they know what happens and you rely on their external datacenter...[1]).

Nothing special there thus as many people already have that, of course you have to scrape it together yourself, which is kinda the point why they are doing the homey. For most hobby people who have a large amount of stuff already there is not really any real incentive to get such a thing IMHO though.

The price is pretty good though, thus maybe just for the sensors it might be quite interesting.

Also note that for Homey to hear you you need to place it in a central location, but for the wireless modules to be able to receive your devices (if you are going to use it for that, which you likely need to to be able to get it all in the same homey app, unless you are ) it has to be placed in a perfect location.... dunno if that is a good combo... and multiple homeys around the house means receiving the same signals in multiple places, next to not knowing if they actually will allow logging of things (temperature? :), graphing of that data; and what about that SD card in the RPI, what happens if that thing dies? Then again as it is a raspberry Pi, rooting it should not be too tricky (take SD card, put it somewhere else, edit, done ;)

[1] they say they don't fall under the Patriot Act, but due to international treatments, they DO fall under it; the foreign country will just request it through legal channels if they want to get access to the data.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I advise you to read a little bit more about the Homey project before judging too quickly, cause some of your statements are incorrect.
For instance, Homey will be based on the Raspberry Pi Compute Module, not on a Raspberry Pi Model B as you might think.
It's even mentioned on their Kickstarter 'Home page', hard to miss I'd say. Compute Module means no SD, but eMMC.

And what's the problem with receiving the same signals in multiple places? I don't see the problem.
I'm sure they'll fix this 'problem' with EUR 170000 in their pocket.

Personally, I'm more interested in a "private / local" speech recognition solution, combined with the best TTS there is - no matter whether it falls under PA or not.
Who cares about what I let my computer say to me (the News, weather forecast, yes master, 20 unread emails, ... ) ?

The reason I backed Homey is (for me, and I think for the majority) that voice is the ultimate way of interacting with a HA system.
"Jasper" is funny but not good enough for me - TTS is very bad. But Jasper was the trigger for me to revisit Voice Control once more:
http://blog.hekkers.net/2014/04/16/home ... e-control/

And I've seen some "early work" on Homey (before it had that name) on Tweakers.net and was flabbergasted with how well it performed.
So when Homey appeared on Kickstarter the only thing I could do was to support their effort to make Homey work.

Nothing more, nothing less. I just hope they succeed in creating an awesome product, open enough to embed in our own systems.

Return to “Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowdfunding related smartthings”