Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Everything about rooting Toons 1 and 2.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

michel30

Re: Rooting Toon (or boxx)

Post by michel30 »

On version 4.8.25 I have also BusyBox v1.18.3 (2011-08-26 19:32:05 CEST)

So the best thing is to stay on toon version 4.8.25 and not upgrade to an higher version?
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Best thing is to upgrade manually, and to skip the new busybox in the process.
flamingbob
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by flamingbob »

Sure sounds strange,

When looking here:
https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/lo ... _27_stable
and
https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/lo ... _27_stable
Seems its still in 1.27 stable

Maybe quby did a trick to lock persons out of the box as the "game on" message was.

For manual update. do opkg update and go trough the list by hand?
lxz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by lxz »

Is there a guide how to update rooted Toons in a proper way? I have a 16/R10 version of toon and succeeded in rooting it by following your guide.
But it still is on a 3.6-something version of the software.

If I understand correctly, the following is not working:
- connect an serial-to-USB adapter
- allow vpn again
- run the update function on screen
- reinstall dropbear
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

flamingbob wrote: Maybe quby did a trick to lock persons out of the box as the "game on" message was.

For manual update. do opkg update and go trough the list by hand?
busybox can be configured at compile-time to not contain a number of features. getty is just one of them.

Manual updates can be done after the flag update available has been raised. Just go to the directory holding all packages
(/HCBv2/tmp/opkg-cache or /mnt/data/update, depending on FW version) edit the package base-qb2-ene-<whatever>.ipk to hold a working iptables.conf. Install manually, and skip installation of busybox and deps.
lxz wrote:If I understand correctly, the following is not working:
- connect an serial-to-USB adapter
- allow vpn again
- run the update function on screen
- reinstall dropbear
Serial to usb will still work, you just can't get a shell on the serial port. The step init=/bin/sh, in the u-boot sequence still works. This means that we need to find a way to get data into toon through the serial line. I am currently running some tests in that respect, and so far it looks good.

VPN is not required.

Updates won't work without vpn, that hasn't changed.

dropbear stays where it is, no need to reinstall it.
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

My Busybox (Including Getty) still works after updating (offical way) to 4.9.23. Would it depend on some yet unknown variables? I manually updated once, (somewhere around 4.7) but that cannot be part of the solution.
My Busybox atm.

BusyBox v1.27.2 (2017-10-03 14:20:01 CEST) multi-call binary.
BusyBox is copyrighted by many authors between 1998-2015.
Licensed under GPLv2. See source distribution for detailed
copyright notices.

I can attach the update (to 4.9.23) script if that's convenient.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Hi Ierlandfan,

I think only the serial console has been disabled. All the rest should work normally. That's the good News: There's no way to shut down /bin/sh, since that would effectively brick toon.
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

I didn't want to edit my post because of MarcelR's post but ofcourse my busybox is no different and it's missing the getty part. I responded a little too early
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

I updated the rooting manual for the 4.9.23 firmware (busybox without getty), to include a workaround for that handicap. It also includes a link to rboers's JTAG stuff. Retyping that was a bit too much, and not really necessary to do.

The workaround was a piece of cake, really. It also paves the way for a more comprehensive, single shot rooting method. Will get back to you on that, shortly.
IndoDanny
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by IndoDanny »

I have Toon too and want stop my montly payments for it. It was very interesting reading the info about rooting the Toon. However, I am new into Domotica and using Domoticz and I think rooting will be to complex for me. Is there anyone living in Noord-Holland who is willing to help me and root my Toon? Den Haag, Utrecht or Almere and surroundings is also a possibility. Thanks in advance.
rubyan
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rubyan »

I updated the rooting manual for the 4.9.23 firmware
Thanks marcelr and community for the quick response. I will try the new method tonight and report back.
flamingbob
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by flamingbob »

marcelr wrote:I updated the rooting manual for the 4.9.23 firmware (busybox without getty), to include a workaround for that handicap. It also includes a link to rboers's JTAG stuff. Retyping that was a bit too much, and not really necessary to do.

The workaround was a piece of cake, really. It also paves the way for a more comprehensive, single shot rooting method. Will get back to you on that, shortly.
Old ascii file transfer. That has been ages ago since that was last used! Good find. Im quite interesed to see if its now removed or its still in there(getty) Still waiting for 4.9.23 on my rooted toon. The backup toon also didnt get it yet so cant check it. Using this way we could even get getty back that is a lot smaller and makes the waiting a bit less. Still strange logic. With local access there is always no way to lock users out.
lxz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by lxz »

Thanks for the quick (and creative) getty workaround. Am I correct if I say this is only necessary when initially rooting Toon?

I have an rooted R10 Toon with SSH access already. Which steps do I have to take to update from 3.6.xx to to 4.9.23?
Can I use this method to update and gain access again after updating?
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

lxz wrote:Thanks for the quick (and creative) getty workaround. Am I correct if I say this is only necessary when initially rooting Toon?
That's correct.
lxz wrote: I have a rooted R10 Toon with SSH access already. Which steps do I have to take to update from 3.6.xx to to 4.9.23?
Can I use this method to update and gain access again after updating?
If you have a cron daemon running, then yes. I would try and test for that first. Another option is to edit the base-qb2-ene package. That's the route I tend to take.
glsf91

Post by glsf91 »

marcelr wrote: If you have a cron daemon running, then yes. I would try and test for that first. Another option is to edit the base-qb2-ene package. That's the route I tend to take.
Is there somewhere an instruction how to carry out a manual update?

Return to “Toon Rooting”